True Greatness

I'm going to make a statement. You all will probably at first agree with me.

Talent and ability do not define greatness.

I know you're all on board with that one. Here's another.

Our personal preferences do not define greatness either.

Let me explain.

My dad (pot stirrer that he is) recently put up a facebook status saying how he didn't understand why so many Christians seem to revere John Lennon, when Lennon was a self proclaimed atheist, drug user, and adulterer, not to mention incredibly egocentric.

There were something like 50 comments at last count.

My dad's good like that.

Some of the comments agreed. Some pointed out that there was nothing wrong with liking the Beatles. Some got a little defensive.

But my dad's point got me thinking. He wasn't saying it was sin to appreciate musical talent. But when does that appreciation turn to reverence?

When I was young, I very easily got wrapped up in a certain television show. My devotion went beyond entertainment. I didn't just watch the show, I studied it. I read all about the actors, directors, writers. I had to read any magazine with the actors in it. Any reference to it was golden. I even wrote stories about it.

And then I urged other people to love it as well. I sang the shows praises. I got defensive when people picked on it or dared disagree with my opinion of it.

I watched every single episode of that show over 9 seasons (even the sucky ones) and also the two movies about it. I mourned when it was over.

But as the years passed, and some distance was put between me and my beloved show, I gradually began to see it for what it was: An interesting tv show with interesting characters. No more, no less. I still enjoy that show and watch it on Netflix or DVD occasionally, but now all the little flaws in ideology and writing stick out to me. It was far from perfect in its message. Especially the second movie. I HATE the second movie's message. (Have we all figured out that I'm talking about The X-Files yet?)

So, this is an obvious case of being too devoted to a secular art medium.

That show did some good things for me. The relationship between the two lead characters inspires my writing to this day. It taught me a lot of big words at a young age (most of my friends didn't know what an entomologist was in 8th grade). It fostered a love of reading, as my earliest experiences with being glued to the written word were reading fanfic. It gave me dozens of inside jokes with my sisters.

But it wasn't the definition of greatness.

Not even close.

So often in our culture, greatness is defined by how many academy awards someone wins, or how many songs top the chart, or how many championship titles are held. And we Christians eat it right up along with the lost. But when you stop and think about it, celebrities often become defined as great when they push the envelope: When they play a gay character. When they write a song defaming religion and the government. When they don barely there costumes and drape a python over their shoulders. When they stick up their noses at convention and morality.

Sure, they can be talented.

But talent does not mean greatness.

True greatness in God's eyes is simple.

It's humility. It's serving God quietly. It's boasting only in the cross. It's loving others unselfishly. It's forgiving. It's loving God's Word. It's sharing Christ with the lost.

How many elderly saints go unnoticed in our churches? How many shut ins have forgotten legacies as soon as they're out of sight? Maybe they served for years as a deacon, or in the choir or nurseries or Sunday School classes, never once demanding attention for their good works.

How many parents quietly serve their children, tending their needs and loving them unconditionally, never once demanding respect or credit?

How many people humbly serve the needs of their community, giving up of their time and resources to feed hungry, counsel the hurting, provide homes for the homeless, and show compassion on those who are at their lowest points?

How many pastors take years of abuse from their parishioners, listen to their complaints, their hurts, their struggles, and their petty disagreements without ever expecting a thank you?

That is true greatness. That is what should be admired and celebrated among us. That is what should inspire us.

Not song writing ability. Not being a great actor. Not being able to write skillfully or sing beautifully (or not sing beautifully, just suggestively, as is so often the case).

Talent is arbitrary. You don't really do anything to gain it. You either have it or you don't. You can work at your craft and make it better, but you don't earn or deserve talent.

Humility isn't arbitrary. It's an intentional decision based on one's love for Christ. It's an honorable pursuit. The humble person is not blind to his own sin or tolerant of the ugliness in his heart. He will confess it and deal with it, regardless of the personal cost. It's not easy to make yourself less so Christ shines brighter.

And that's why it deserves respect.

"...These are the ones I look on with favor: those who are humble and contrite in spirit, and who tremble at my word." Isaiah 66:2

Comments

Very well said. I agree completely. In our small group, we spend a lot of time discussing what "defines" us. Its not our job, its not our physical appearance, it begins with who we are in Christ.