Warning: Long winded post.

"[Thing Two] does not like to obey."

This was the welcome I received upon picking up my child from nursery awhile back. I walked into the room and was reaching for his coat. I hadn't said a word, hadn't asked a question. But there it was, hitting me in the face, and said with a surprising dose of sarcasm. Not the kind of sarcasm that's coated in a chuckle and a "that's how life is" spirit, but the other kind of sarcasm, the one that hints that I have a serious problem on my hands.

It was one of those moments as a parent where a million responses and emotions flood through you in a split second.

I stood there, stunned. I have never had a teacher speak to me about him before. It was his first Sunday in a new class. He'd just come from a nursery of two year olds, where playtime is the focus and there is little structure. Having turned three the week before, he got bumped up to the next room.

I didn't say the thoughts that rolled through my head. Well, it IS his first time in this class. He IS barely three. Newly three and old three are quite different stages in development. He IS a boy. Anyone who's ever parented a boy knows they're different from girls. And who among us LIKES to obey, let alone a young child who has limited understanding and social awareness?

Instead, I just mumbled something about how we'll work on it and put on his coat. The other teacher in the class was a bit kinder and didn't make me feel like my child had just earned a permanent "D" on his forehead for DISOBEYER. But it was a bit too late for that.

I hurried to pick up Thing One from his class. I didn't make much small talk with people, and when I did it was with a forced smile. I hurried the boys to the van and headed for lunch.

I got to the end of the church drive before I was in tears.

Six words had brought back a deluge of bad memories and hours of struggling and praying and trying to reconcile how I believed I should parent and how other people believed I should parent. I've written before about the long road that we trekked with Thing One when he was 2 and 3. Where once we were on the path of raising little robots by attacking every little misbehavior, we now have a much different mindset as parents. We are governed by several key beliefs.

1. Treat our children the way God has treated us. (Romans 2:4)
2. Focus on the heart, not the outward appearance. (Matthew 6:1)
3. Remember that we are the adults who are representatives of Christ. (Galatians 5:22-23)
4. Age appropriate expectations. (1 Corinthians 13:11)

We are not perfect (not even close). But I know that I personally have peace in my heart where my kids are concerned. I used to fret. I used to try to force them to do the right thing. Because people (and by people I mean Christians) judge them based on their behavior. I used to get so frustrated and angry at them, an "us vs. them" mentality. There was constant drama in the house because I was trying to be more stubborn than my child. It was my way or the highway, kid.

But God did a work on my heart. He broke my pride and showed me how ugly my motives and behavior were. He showed me how precious my children are. He showed me what years of the "us vs. them" mentality will do to a person.

I learned that the key to parenting is striving to be more like Jesus.

But I was reminded that not everyone feels that way. I've noticed that some parents haven't figured out which hills to die on. God must teach that about boys early for some reason.

I was once a day care worker (slave). I totally understand being so frustrated with a child's behavior you can't see straight. I had to talk to parents about behavior frequently. But I had to be professional and gentle. My boss would have flipped if I'd rudely announced "Your child does not like to obey."

Especially now that I'm a parent, I can understand why. When there are little kids in your home, you are overwhelmed. You sometimes feel like you're fighting for your life. You're exhausted and concerned that you are screwing them up for good.

But at the same time, you're so in love with them.

If the teacher had pulled me aside and gently discussed that he was rather disobedient that day, it probably would have been received better. I wouldn't have cried all the way home at least. But instead, I was left hurt and quite irritated for my son. I understand that this person was just speaking from frustration, and I've been there. A room full of little kids is hard work. I was just surprised I guess. Sometimes, the clearest lessons in "a word aptly spoken" are when you're on the receiving end of careless words.

When it comes down to it though, I know my son. I spend every day of his life with him. I know how he works and processes. I also know that he is still very much a baby. I don't understand why three year olds should be expected to act the same as a school ager. We don't expect first graders to understand algebra or junior highers to master college courses. But we do insist that newborns sleep through the night and toddlers obey our every command and thirteen year olds make mature and rational decisions. Because we're in charge here, doggone it. Just because some three year olds (like most girls and shy kids) will do what you tell them doesn't mean they are the standard. Brain development differs, people.

I'm just going to continue loving, praying, teaching the Word and being patient. And not focus on what other people think I should be doing.

I only have to answer to Christ for my behavior. I'd rather parent with a clean conscience than spend my energy trying to make my kids be perfect.

These little guys are pretty much my life right now. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Thinker

Comments

Amy said…
been there, done that (still doing that actually)...

i will also sinfully admit that a certain person popped into my head (despite not being there and not knowing who). i'll need to confess that later... :P

i used to be the same way as a teacher... putting kids and training in a box. now i realize survival is the key! ;) but seriously, we are all individuals and will teach and train individually, but as long as we are following His Word and His will (and being tender about things that might need changing), then it doesn't matter that we discipline and raise differently.

what matters is the heart.

good post. we all need to be reminded that they ARE babies. i never understand why they are pushed to grow up so fast. yes, obedience is important, even at three, but since i still struggle with it at thirty-three, i can't reprimand too harshly.

wow. long comment. sorry. :)

i remember so many tears coming home from church with noah... just struck a chord...

i think i've prepped everyone enough for ruby that they know she's not gonna obey. ;)

don't be discouraged, friend! keep doing what you know He wants you to do!
Carrie said…
oh, boy. I teach 2.5 and 3 year olds for a living. Early 3 and 3 is TOTALLY night and day. NO matter what, first attempt in that classroom, nothing should have been said unless you asked. Nor should what was said have been said. So sorry for that! I really like what you had to say about parenting...so many Chrisitians turn parenting into a competition to see whose kids are "better" type of thing when it comes to "obeying". Hmph. Thanks for sharing
sethswife said…
haha, amy i held onto this post for weeks b/c i really didn't want to cast blame on anybody, but at the same time this topic is so close to my heart and my opinions are bound to spill out on my blog. i've actually held back quite a bit! i'm glad i'm not alone, and i'm also glad that God has changed my mind on so many things since Thing One was born. And thank you carrie! i used to teach the 3 year old class too, and i never understood the boys till i had my own! 3 was actually my favorite age to teach though. they were a little more independent than the 2s and less mouthy than the 4s. :) 3 is where the good kid quotes start flowing freely.
Amy said…
I have several thoughts about this blog entry.

First, 5 years ago I would have agreed with you about the whole "cause he's a boy" thing. I had Abigail who always obeyed. Then Ethan who struggled for only a few months. Then Blake who has struggled for 5 years!. But then I had Alison and she makes Blake look like a saint. So, I no longer trust in the boy-girl stereotypes. Alison is as crazy as the come. (One would never know it in Sunday School or Awana and for that I'm thankful. But give her time...)

Second, I am so sorry for your sadness and hate for anyone to cry. Especially after you've just spent time worshiping the Lord. :(

Third, when I'm watching someone's kids in the nursery or in my home I NEVER want to say anything bad about them to their parent. If I feel the need to say something I usually sing their praises for about 10 minutes before mentioning the one tiny thing. And even then I only mention it if it's something I would want to know myself.

Some people don't remember what it's like to have little crazy kids around. They aren't as patient or they forget about the whole age appropriateness thing. Some people are just harsh in their tone of voice in general and don't really think about who they are talking to- adult or child.

I am frequently around a person who is always snapping at kids- even in FUN, wild situations where they are supposed to be having a good time- and I feel so sorry for the kids. I want to hug them and tell them it's okay but you can't go against another adults direction cause then you confuse a child- only obey certain adults as opposed to obeying all adults. So, I just be over-the-top kind to them hoping that my kindness will help them forget about the harshness of the other adult.

I have gone away from many a place feeling like I'm a terrible parent, my kids are bad, I'm never hanging out with that person again, they'll never invite us over again, and so on. I've cried many tears. I've been mad at people who said stuff- mostly family members.

But then I take it to the Lord. He reminds me that it's not about me- I take it as a reflection of myself and my parenting skills. He reminds me that they are little and none of us are perfect. When I am not patient and raise my voice I'm sinning as much as they are. It's a learning game for all of us.

Two situations come to my mind. Most people don't agree with me on these...

1. Your child is in the middle of a video game (usually with a time limit) and dinner is ready. Most people call their child and get mad when the child doesn't come. I used to. But then I started thinking, if I was in the middle of a game and someone made me stop would I like it?? NO!

2. You make dinner and your child doesn't like it. You KNEW before you made it that your child didn't like pasta sauce or the texture of ravioli. You made it anyway knowing your child has tried it and doesn't like it. Some parents- very close friends of mine- force their kid to eat it which usually leads to vomit. I used to get mad. I'd demand at least 3 bites. But then I thought, if someone made me eat LIVER or PINK, bloody steak would I like that? NO. So, now I just make my kid a PB&J sandwich.

Sometimes we have to stop being the big bad boss and remember are kids are real PEOPLE with valid likes, dislikes, feelings.

Wow... Guess I have lots of feelings about the subject as well.

PS
Currently reading (slowly) through three books-
1. The Power of a Parent's Words by H. Norman Wright
2. Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tedd Tripp
3. Teach Them Diligently by Lou Priolo

You can borrow any of them if you want.

PSS
I think your kids are great. I'm so preoccupied with what's going on with Alison & Blake that I usually think all the other kids in the world are perfect. :)
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
sethswife said…
amy m. i totally agree with you! and my little niece has broken the gender stereotypes too (and i love her for it!) i just said that b/c it seems like the ones i've had "brush ups" with the most seem to have only raised girls.

i'm not speaking of you, middle sister. ;)
Amy said…
Oh no. I'm such a nerd. FORGIVE ME!!!! It kept saying my comment was too long so I broke it down and I guess I posted five million times. Oops!!!

Also, I meant to say, we have to remember OUR children are people (not ARE children are...)
sethswife said…
not your fault amy. blogger is notorious for such things. i was going to delete the extras, but i was afraid they'd all disappear. no worries. :)
Amy said…
haha, i was about to ask who and what kathy deleted! ;) but i read them all...

and yes, ruby has broken the stereotype too. noah has always been our sweet, obedient (as much as he can be at his age) child.

and kathy, after reading it, i was folding diapers and realized you had said he had JUST turned 3, so duh, i knew it wasn't this past sunday. (my brain takes time to catch up). ;)

But i thought of something after my comment: Who decided that the 'perfect' children (rare as they are) are the norm??

yes, there are SUPER well behaved three year olds, but they are few and far between, so why is the rarity the mark that all other children are put up against?

is it because as christians (which seems to be the issue in our incidents) we expect only the GOOD because that's what we're supposed to be? and anything less than GOOD is evil and must be dealt with immediately?

if we took the 'curve' of normal three year olds and placed them all in a behavior range, i'm pretty sure those with great obedience (and behavior) skills would not be the bulk in the middle.

it just struck me... not even sure if i'm making sense...

amy m. i liked your examples. bryan and i recently talked about having to remember that they are FOUR and TWO. and especially with ruby we sometimes forget she's two and have the same expectations of her that we do with noah (at 4). THAT alone causes a mess of emotions and such from us and her, on top of her normal personality!

and thank you also amy, for not putting incredibly yummy SUSHI on your list of gross foods you don't like. ;) (although the rare steak was pushing it). haha...
Amy said…
Actually, I "backspaced" over sushi. :) It was there first but I knew so many people loved it and thought someone would comment on it. lol And also... I'm feeling a little braver and might actually try it... some day. ;)
sethswife said…
oh, amy k...i could write loooong posts about the things you brought up in your second comment. looong ones.

but i hate dealing with backlash from people who disagree. i really don't want to offend anybody, and i know i have some pretty strong opinions about how kids should be treated.

which is why i've largely kept them to myself, except for a few blog posts here and there. whenever i bring up my viewpoints, even in civil conversation, i instantly feel tension and pressure to conform. blech.

so i've become a big chicken. but a very happy-with-my-kids chicken.
Nate said…
I completely disagree with you. We should expect our children to behave perfectly. After all, our kids can't make their own decisions, we must make them for them. Our kids don't have any individual personalities, they are simply an extension of ours. So if our kids misbehave, that means we are awful people and parents and it exposes our weaknesses and failures, which of course, as good Baptists, we don't have any weaknesses or problems that we want people to see.

So, it all comes down to this: if you are a good little Christian, then your kids will be perfectly dressed, always smile, say please and thank you, sit for every Bible story, clean up all the toys, and give all of their money to missions. If, however, you are an evil person then your kids are evil, misbehaving, hyperactive, little miscreants, who probably have a.d.d. and should be put on medicine to more properly conform.

I for one am not evil, which is why Jack is a perfect child in every situation. I don't know why your kids aren't? I guess I'm just more spiritual than you.
sethswife said…
haha, nate, gotta love ya.

i went to junior high with you. so yeah...totally perfect. ;)