This just in: Spray paint is for winners.

I'm becoming one of those girls. I might as well admit it. Get ready to judge me.

No, not those girls.

You have a dirty mind.

But the truth may be worse.

I'm becoming....crafty.

In the past month, I have gone through about seventeen hot glue sticks and burned through the top layer of skin on all my major fingers. I've scoured my attic for old scrapbook paper and scissors and ribbon. I've spray painted so much that I'm afraid to light a match in my house.

And I've loved every minute of it.

I've never been crafty. I was okay at scrapbooking, but I stopped doing it shortly after we got married. I resigned myself to the fate of uncreative where arts and crafts are concerned. I went so far as to decide that stay at home moms who are good at crafting might as well don jumpers and wear sweaters with cats embroidered on them.

I mock what I can't do. It helps me cope with failure.

Then, suddenly, I started flirting with the idea of busting out my old neglected glue gun. It began when I realized that since we've repainted the walls this year, all my red and gold Christmas ornaments wouldn't really go. But buying a bunch of new ones was out of the question as far as the budget committee was concerned.

I'm not good at crafting, but I am good at reading blogs (it's a finely honed talent of mine). So I searched blogs for simple ideas for ornaments. What I found was that there is so much out there that I can easily reproduce. Not only that, but these moms with craft blogs aren't lame, but actually really talented and funny. And thrifty. Yay for thrifty.

And now, after a month of cutting and gluing and painting and burning my fingers, I've found that I really like making things. And finding old things in my attic that I can make over makes me feel like I'm not wasting money doing it.

Next stop: sewing doilies.

And embroidering cats.

And being totally awesome at the same time.

A few of my projects, made almost entirely from things I already had (I confess that I did buy new scrapbook paper):
DSC_0074DSC_0076 (2)
DSC_0065DSC_0062
DSC_0061DSC_0058
DSC_0054DSC_0145
DSC_0144DSC_0140


Comments

Amy said…
love these!

did you see the domino ornaments?? I LOVE them! http://raisingolives.com/2009/12/domino-christmas-ornament-tutorial/
Good job, Kathy! I feel I've always been one of those naturally crafty people, and I enjoyed it! But I haven't done anything like that lately b/c of lack of time and inspiration. But, you've inspired me! I think I'll get my craft on this weekend too! :)
Amy said…
i found another ornament idea i had to share! :D

my friend from college posted these snowflake crystal ornaments she got from martha stewart. it seems like a GREAT project for a science lesson!;)

www.sneakymommy.blogspot.com
sethswife said…
oh, my goodness, thing one would LOVE that. gotta get me some borax.
Anonymous said…
come here and do that to my house. please.
sethswife said…
on my way. just gotta pack up some glue sticks.