The Simple Things


I'm giving myself a kick in the pants today. Too much moping and being stressed and having such little faith in God to provide and care for us. Thing One and I have been reading Little House in the Big Woods and The Boxcar Children in school, and over and over I see how in these stories, the characters have so little, yet act so blessed in their attitudes. I could learn a thing or two from them. So today I'm counting the simple blessings, the ones that I can focus on that say to my heart, "See? You have no reason to complain. God is so good to you."

1. The promise of Heaven through Jesus Christ. We've been studying Revelation in church. All I can say is WOW.

2. A husband who loves Jesus. And loves me.

3. Two beautiful, healthy kids.

4. A roof (that no longer leaks!) over our heads.

5. The ability to write, photograph or sing to express what's in my heart.

6. An extended family of believers on both sides.

7. A church filled with warmth, love, and caring friends.

8. God's Word, a constant source of truth and encouragement. Sometimes it comforts. Sometimes it chastens. But always, it gives me hope.

9. The loaf of bread I found in the freezer this morning that I had forgotten about.

10. Warm socks on my feet.

11. The privilege and responsibility I have to educate my children.

12. The internet, with its endless supply of amusing blogs, helpful information, and educational resources.

13. The knowledge that God has brought me through bigger trials than this one.

14. A really comfortable bed.

15. Being able to wash my clothes and cook my food with modern appliances. They may be old, but they're still better than a tub in the backyard or a cookstove!

16. Books. Books. Books.

17. The ability to keep in constant contact with friends and family that live far away.

18. The fun of turning off the TV or Wii or computer and watching my boys' imaginations at work.

19. Taking a nap in the middle of the day.

20. Knowing that our home, while it may not be trouble free, is a place where the four of us can find refuge and peace from the trials of life. And I don't mean our literal house, but the bond between us that exists wherever we are.

My simple things seem so extravagant. I have more than I deserve. More than I could ask for. I am blessed. So instead of begging God to "please fix this!" I think my time would be better spent focusing on the lavish love of my Savior. I can humbly request for things we need and solutions to life's problems, but I won't despair. I won't doubt. I won't begrudge God for not making things go exactly according to my plan. He is wiser. He is greater. He is in control.

Red leaf
"You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts you." Isaiah 26:3.

Comments