Family Honor (Friday Flash Fiction)



William held the sword tightly at an angle poised to kill. Anger coursed through his blood at the sight of the miserable man cowering before him, sweat glistening on his forehead and fear shining in his eyes.

Never before had William ever considered killing a man. Never had he felt such wrath toward another human. His life had been marked by gentleness. His brothers had often teased him that there wasn’t a vengeful bone in his body. It had never bothered him that he wasn’t a man prone to fits of temper. Prudence and maturity had always been his prized characteristics.

Until this filthy traitor had arrived.

William had welcomed him. Shared his table with him. Allowed him to become a confidant in his family’s affairs.

“William…” the coward plead. “Let’s be reasonable.”

William sneered. “What would you have me reconsider, Marlow? What have you to say that could possibly lessen my anger?”

Marlow inched back from the sword. “I am your friend.”

“You are not my friend!” William shouted, his voice echoing through the stone hallway. Marlow’s eyes widened in fear, a sight that pleased William somewhat. “You are a thief. You came into my home and allowed me to trust you, all along plotting my destruction!”

“I am innocent!”

A bitter laugh escaped William’s throat. “You expect me to believe that you are not every inch my enemy?”

“I admit to my misdeeds, William. I admit that your family’s fortune was irresistible. But Beatrix was never part of my plan. I did not intend to love her, nor to hurt her as I have done.”

Eyes narrowed at the mention of his daughter, now ruined, William nudged the sword toward Marlow’s throat, the blade nearly pricking the skin.

“And I’ll see to it that you never shall again.”


Comments

Jared said…
ENGUARDE!! HOO HAHHA HOO HAHAHH KLANG KLANG KLING PUNCH STAB

...sorry that's where I see that going next. Good stuff!
Destiny said…
This is great, Kathy! You should continue this story.. or do like a 6 hours before thing... about what led up to it! :)