Nine Years

Fifteen years of "us".

Nine years today.

Nine years since we donned a veil and a tux and posed for pictures and sang to each other.

Nine years since I started calling you "Honey."

Nine years since we started this journey, this wonderful, crazy, roller coaster ride of marriage we share.

Nine years doesn't seem so long. We were very young then, and only relatively young now. We have shared 3,285 days with the same last name, 108 months with the same bank account and address, 468 weeks since we ended one chapter with our vows and began a new one.

I thought then that trouble would never touch us, that we were beyond damage. I know now that no one is above the realm of trouble. Even strong marriages can be hit. Turmoil can strike in places where peace normally resides.

Nine years ago, I thought I knew everything there was to know about you. Today, I can see how I was just barely scraping the surface of all that is you.

Yes, there has been trouble. But the blessings far outweigh the losses. We have two obnoxious and hilarious boys, and without you here to share in the "joy" of raising them I'd probably have ulcers and bald spots by now. Without that day nine years ago, we would not have Thing One and Thing Two, and we wouldn't know this deep love that they have brought us. And we would not have another little one residing in the arms of Jesus, waiting for us to meet her one day.

Together, we have weathered every storm and always come out stronger on the other side. I have no doubt at all that we have nothing to do with this success. It is all because of God. Neither of us can take any credit for our successes, only our failures. God has redeemed our mistakes and given us a new day, putting back together what seemed beyond repair.

God has been faithful to us, more than we deserve.

Nine years together. Nine years of bills, mortgages, pregnancies, jobs, stresses, laughter, 3 a.m. doctrinal discussions, musical performances, big deals and small ones, diapers, plumbing emergencies, medical emergencies, dental emergencies, auto emergencies, chocolate emergencies, holidays, and dog maintenance.

Nine years as spouses.

Nine years as a family.

Nine years of us.

I'd say we're off to a good start.

I love you. You're my favorite. :)

Comments