My Place in This World

So, I have this sister in law, Lydie.

Lydie and I often find ourselves musing about the fact that our husbands are nearly the same person. Those brothers are more like twins. They have the same idiosyncrasies, a lot of the same interests and hobbies, the same habits and facial expressions. It's crazy how alike they are. Lydie and I will be talking and one of us will mention something our husband said or did and immediately the other exclaims "Mine does that too!"

While we married basically identical men, Lydie and I are very opposite in most aspects of our lives. Lydie is a doer. A fixer. Up at the crack of dawn, always on the go. She enjoys exercise, yardwork and home remodeling. Not only enjoys them, but actually does them. She makes it a priority to stay fit and active. She loves hosting parties. She's dark and beautiful and exotic looking.

Then, there's me. Next to Lydie, I look like a walrus taking a nap on a rock. I am not a morning person, unless we're talking about 4 am or earlier. I am not a doer. There are 8769 little things around this house I should be doing right now, but instead I sit here at my netbook purging my brain of random thoughts. And exercise? EXERCISE? You must be joking. You know where I stand on yardwork from previous posts. I am not a busy person. I like to be still and quiet and read and write and think ever so deep thoughts. I don't like hosting parties. Too much pressure to be perfect and hospitable. I don't like pressure. And I'm pasty and doughy and odd looking.

But in spite of our vast differences, Lydie and I get along really well. Maybe because we are so different.

My goal lately has been to hide myself less. I used to get royally embarrassed to have Lydie see my sink piled with dishes or the dozens of little odd jobs waiting to be done around the house. I'd clean up before she came over. I'd pretend that I'm a doer too. That I actually care that there are cracks in my ceiling that I must do something about.

I don't know why I get like that. It's not like Lydie is a snooty judgmental person. She could care less how much laundry I have piled up. So why did I feel like I had to put on airs?

This morning I watched Lydie's kids while she and her husband played soccer (I know, exercise AGAIN). They came over at 8:45. That's not really that early, since Thing Two gets up as soon as he feels the rotation of the earth shifting toward daytime. But while I'm awake at 8:45, that doesn't mean I'm useful at 8:45. There was a time when I would have hurried to clean up the house before they came over. But not today. Today there was clutter all over my living room, the recliner was overflowing with laundry waiting to be folded (I call it my laundry chair) and the dishes had overflown the sink and were starting to migrate into other parts of the house. Today, I embraced being me: the scatterbrained, semi coherent at 8:45, sloppy non-doer. I didn't even brush my teeth.

And surprisingly, it wasn't that uncomfortable for me. I'm learning to be more transparent. My husband and I have a joke that our life is all about "hiding the crazy". But more and more, I've been lowering my walls and just being me. And the world hasn't ended.

I'm grateful for the Lydies of the world. Without them, fixer uppers would never become beautiful homes, weeds would overtake the earth, and Pottery Barn would have no target demographic. We need these people in our world, inspiring us to do more and be better. And get off our lazy butts and load the dishwasher.

But on the other hand, I think there might be a place for me in this world too. Sometimes, everyone needs to be reminded to be still and quiet. To not be so busy and running around. To keep the couch warm while you read a good book or write a silly blog post. To be obsessed with the written word and information.

It takes all kinds.

Some of us will be exotic beautiful female Bob Vilas. And some of us will be strange looking writing musicians. And there's room for us all.

Comments

Amy said…
Hi, Kathy. :)

We had to stop at Kroger on our way home from church today because we were out of bread, cheese, lunch meat, etc. While Mike was inside with our grocery list I pulled out my cell phone and logged on to google reader. I scrolled through the list of all the new blog entries that I hadn't read yesterday due to a VIRUS on our laptop. (I'm at home on the desktop now.) I saw that you had posted something so I started reading it.

I couldn't really relate to the brothers being alike part cause Mike isn't much like his brother but I can certainly relate to being opposite of your sister-in-law. I often compare myself to Mike's brother's wife and feel bad or inferior for a few minutes. But then I remember that I love my life and wouldn't change who I am or what we do for anything.

The reason I wanted to comment on this blog post was in regards to your comment about yourself being "pasty and doughy and odd looking." I was reminded of my VERY FIRST Sunday at Maranatha.

It was the first Sunday in December. We arrived just before the service and as is (was) our family custom, we were the LAST to exit the foyer when church was over. (My parents and another couple from our previous church were also visiting that Sunday so there was a lot of talking going on.)

Anyway, we had been standing in the foyer talking to a few different strangers for some time and I needed to sit down with Chase cause he was heavy and my shoulder was hurting. I sat down with a few of my kids on the bench that is along the parking lot side of the foyer. As I sat there, and the foyer was getting emptier and emptier, I noticed a classy looking lady in a pants suit wearing heals perhaps and also her husband with freshly pressed & crisp looking clothes getting their coats off of the coat rack. I sat their admiring how well put together the two looked and guessed that they must be somewhere around my age. I remember sitting there feeling like an ELEPHANT who would probably never fit in with that stylish girl.

That girl was YOU!! lol It's funny that we see ourselves one way but others see us differently. Don't put yourself down. You have great taste in jewelry and handbags. And your dress at church today was AWESOME! :)

And one more thing- I appreciate that you confess you are occasionally lazy. :) It makes me feel better when I have those days when I don't want to do any housework. I HATE laundry. It's the worst. I'd rather clean toilets.
sethswife said…
haha, amy that's hilarious. and thank you! i have to admit that seth and i are both "in" to fashion. nothing makes me forget my doughy, stretch-marked body like wearing clothes i really love. and it helps that seth likes to shop too (shh! don't tell!), and he's the kind of guy that if i give him something and say "wear this, it's awesome" he'll say "ok". i'm blessed to have my very own ken doll.

it's so true how we see ourselves differently than others. i have never looked at another woman and thought "she needs to lose 20 pounds" or "what's up with her eyes being crooked?" but that's exactly what i say to my reflection. which is why i'm working on this issue--a weird twist of pride to think i have to hide all my flaws. women try too hard to have the perfect appearance! the other day my husband said something that jarred me a bit. i was pointing out all my flaws and he told me "just because you have flaws, doesn't mean you're not beautiful." for a split second, it made sense to me. i don't have to look perfect to have value. for some reason we like to equate those two things. makes those verses about a woman's beauty being characterized by her heart really stand out.

and now i've written another post within a post. :)
Carrie said…
Kathy, you know something? I've went through my whole life feeling "lazy" and "inadequate" to these "doers". But you know what? most of these doers would NEVER sit down and write, read a book, ect ect because for them, doing is easier. To them, paper work, reading, writing is a chore. So in that aspect? THEY are lazy. Our minds are doing. Our minds are PROBABLY in pretty good shape! That helped me not feel so lazy. It's probably just an excuse, because obviously life needs balance...but at least my mind can run a triathalon! Especially after all these years of reading LOST blogs.
Miranda said…
I've always felt like "the ugly sister" when I stand next to you (as well as "the short sister" and "the style-challenged sister.)

I think I'm kind of a weird mix of doer and lazy butt, but I must say that I respect the sitting and thinking and writing a little more.

But really, who doesn't look a little pasty and doughy and stretchmarked next to Lydie??
sethswife said…
no way. I'VE always been the ugly sister. you and jenny are much prettier. why do you think i have to try so hard with fashion? i'm compensating for something.