What Legalism Did For Me



Yeah, you read that title right. I didn't say "TO me", I said "FOR me".


There was a time when I could only see the negatives. But I'm getting older now, and there are a few more years between me and the legalism. It's easier to see the silver lining now.

One of God's specialties is redemption. Taking something worthless and giving it value. Turning a mess into a miracle. Flipping something filled with wrong on it's back and making it somehow right.

That's kind of how I see the legalism now.

I no longer just focus on the wrong things I was led to believe, nor do I spend too much thought on the injustice of it. It is what it is, and I don't really believe that those doing the teaching were intentionally harming me. Actually, they probably most sincerely thought they were helping me.

And in some ways, they did.

1. Legalism taught me to be wary of trends. Man's opinion changes frequently. God's does not.

2. Legalism stressed the importance of Bible study. How else will I know the ways God does not change if I'm not studying Him?

3. Eventually, legalism showed me how desperately I needed a Savior. Much like the law.

4. Legalism kept me from getting pregnant before I got married. There. I said it.

5. Legalism showed me that even spiritual leaders can err, and grace is for them too.

6. Legalism revealed to me a different way of looking at those "weaker brother" verses.

7. Legalism showed me that I can disagree with someone and still greatly respect them.

8. Legalism made me learn to forgive and not hold grudges.

9. Legalism taught me (through trial and error) that sometimes, I need to just shut up.

Maybe there were things in there Satan meant to harm me, but by the grace of God, I am on the other side and am unscathed. There are valid lessons there for me to glean from. What's the purpose of still being on this earth if not to be made more like Jesus?

Above all, I have learned that people are sinners. And I am chief among them. So, I have no leg to stand on when it comes to judging.


It's all about hindsight. 

Comments

Carrie said…
This was a good read. As I'm getting older, I understand more why my parents were "psycho" about some things. It's one thing to know God's word and His rules, but for me the "wrath" of my parents was more tangible than God's (although He is obviously way more omnipotent and powerful than they are...)