Quiet the Voices


I sometimes feel like I'm being bombarded with opinions, lectures, ideas and philosophies. Like I'm overloaded with political dialogue and religious discussions. And I rarely leave the house.

It's the internet. Oh, the internet. What a mixed blessing. The whole world at my fingertips means that I can find amazing recipes for baked salmon, but I'll also be subjected to the bold opinions of people I usually don't know and would rather not be so irritated by. I'm one of those people that will read a blog and then all the comments. I don't know why I do that. It's mentally exhausting.

One thing is for sure in all these debates and posts.

Everyone's right.


The posters, the commenters, the politicians and the theologians. They're all so right, and they will let you know it in multiple comments. Even if they do manage to leave out sarcasm or outright name calling (which is far too common), they will undoubtedly leave humility completely out of the conversation. Because, humility seems more on the quiet side of things.

Maybe their intentions are good. Maybe their words are true. Maybe they just want simple dialogue and are trying to convey their viewpoints.

But I'm noticing that when written on a social site such as Facebook or a blog, disagreeing with something or someone almost universally looks puffed up. It's public contention. And while there may be a time for that, I've yet to see a justifiable reason on Facebook.

It's just too easy to speak up these days.

I have lots of opinions. Anyone who reads my blog knows that. Truth be told, my opinions used to control me. I had to speak of them frequently. I had to write about them. I had to let others know when I disagreed.

I was always frustrated, always on the verge of losing my temper, always defensive.

I'm trying so hard to move away from that. When I see a status I disagree with, I move on. When I see a political debate heating up, I try to steer clear. (I've even "hidden" my own father on occasion. He likes to stir up "conversation") When a blogger irritates me, I don't comment. When I read news articles, I have to stop myself from reading comments. It makes me snippy with my kids, irritable, and wastes too much of my time.

I just want the voices to be quiet. I want opinions to be fewer and arrogance to disappear.

But I also don't want to give up internet.

I shudder at the thought.

So, I guess I'll have to settle for restraint on my part. I can't control what people shout from the tips of their fingers, but I can work on controlling my attitude about it. I want my life to be outside my computer screen. That's hard, because it's so easy for me to be sucked in. I want to spend more time with my "real" family, friends and neighbors. I want to spend less time frustrated with all the extreme opinions. I want the things I sincerely believe to be found in my real life actions, not my status or comments.

Words are easy. Action is hard.

And restraint can be even harder.

But the most worthwhile lessons are often painful.




Comments

Amy said…
i agree... i used to be a big arguer, opinion sharer, etc... whether i believed in what i was saying or not, just for the sake of arguing.

it got too draining.

i've gotten a lot better and even walk away before i say something argumentative (which usually put an end to it). but there are those rare occasions when i lose my restraint. ;)

i've also learned to stop reading comments. i will start, and then realize i'm getting irritated (or thinking how stupid people can be), and i stop. it's not worth it.

i remember the 'old' you. you've definitely changed and seem to be a person happier with life around them. :)

btw, i LOVED your last post about Seth. i love seeing the pride you have in him and his job. :) you are a good wife!