Things I never expected to be happy about

Here are a few things that I'm unexpectedly thrilled with:

1. My house. It's small. It's old. It's horrifyingly lacking in closet space. It's not in the best part of town. It has drafty windows and can tend to smell like cats (which we don't have).

But it's home.

2. Spinach. It's actually quite good, despite me spending most of my life guarding myself from it like it was the plague. I blame mom for always making it with stinky vinegar. How was I to know it tasted good?

3. My flab. Seems strange that I'm the heaviest I've ever been in my life and yet I feel the most attractive. I used to be really skinny, but thought I was the ugliest thing ever. Now, I realize how unimportant appearance is and that just being me is better than trying to be somebody else. It's probably just my aversion to working out convincing me that I look fine. (I mean fine as in okay, not fine as in "you fiiiiine, girl".)

4. My husband having a sort of dangerous career. When we were young, I was adamant about him not joining the military, which ended up being okay since they wouldn't take him with his diabetes now anyway. Firefighting is not without risks, but we both love his job. I mean, have you seen him in uniform? Totally fine. (I mean that as in "he's fiiiine".)

5. Killing spiders without freaking out and making a scene. I have a child that has a tendency to be afraid of everything. Even the fan in his room. Even rain. Even the movie Monsters Inc. But he is not afraid of spiders. I take credit for that.

HOWEVER, I will never be okay with spiders. They are stupid and need to die. And they're ugly. And they look bad in skinny jeans. And if I see you, spiders, in MY house, I will be all like "Oh, it's ON."

6. Skinny jeans.

7. Being poor-ish. Yeah, historically it has sucked. But it's teaching us a lot of good lessons.

8. People disagreeing with me. It's all good.

9. The fact that I'm ending this list on number nine instead of trying to come up with a nice even ten things list.

Comments