Adjust your cup and get back in the game

I'm thinking of embroidering this on a pillow.

My in-laws are visiting, and the other night we were enjoying some old home movies Seth's mom has been transferring to her computer. There was one of Seth's tee ball game from millions of years ago. We all sat around and laughed our heads off because of the frequent "cup adjusting" that was going on.

"Those things are weird!" he tried to defend. "And uncomfortable!"

We laughed all the harder. There were several "cup" jokes.

We also laughed when a runner slid into home base and took one of Seth's legs (he was the catcher) out from under him till he was nearly doing the splits. Overly dramatic child Seth spent a few moments blowing out big breaths of air and "cup adjusting."

The next day, Seth texted me to pray for him because he was having a bad attitude at work. Things weren't working, schedules weren't being kept. And he was annoyed.

Before I even thought about it, I texted back "Adjust your cup and get back in the game."

He lol'ed.

I love making him lol.

So it's become a bit of a mantra around here now. It goes through my head when Thing One starts whining. Or when Thing Two knocks over a glass of milk (intentionally). Or when the big smelly dog whines at me to go outside THREE SECONDS after I lay down in my bed at night. Or when I'm babysitting my niece and she gets into my makeup bag and draws on her legs with eyeliner and takes a swig from my foundation bottle. When things don't work. When plans go awry. When my life is in a general state of yuck.

Rather than be melodramatic or full of whining and complaining or short tempered (like I'm tempted to be), it reminds me to just take a deep breath and "adjust". Move on. Keep my head in the game.

It ain't the end of the world.

Comments