Thoughts On Food

Everyone has an opinion on food. I'm no different. My opinion?

I like food.

I'm not obsessed with food. I generally don't use it to comfort or as a substitute for dealing with my feelings (that's what blogs and books are for). I try not to overeat. For the most part, I don't overdo my portion sizes, and I'm not constantly snacking.

Three weeks out of the month anyway, pregnancies notwithstanding.

I'm not trendy. I'm not a dieter. I really don't over think my food.

I like to try new things. I like to cook (but not clean up). I like to fill my house with delicious smells of tasty food. I don't obsess about ingredients. I do try to keep things balanced. We don't eat comfort food every night. My kids don't get sugary snacks every day. But I also don't worry about the occasional sweet treat or brinner. Love me some brinner.

It seems that we as a society tend to go to extremes when it comes to food. We're either obsessed with it in a super sized, snack cake way or obsessed with it in a can't touch sugar, super "clean" way. I find both options unappealing. Why can't I enjoy all foods in moderation? Why is that so difficult?

I have no life threatening allergies, diseases or disorders. I have no aspirations of having a perfect body or losing a lot of weight. The only limit I have on my food life is budget. So, I work with what I have and what my goals are to live a lifestyle that makes sense for us and doesn't cause me undue worry.

We all have to do the same: evaluate goals, decide what's important and do what we need to do for our families. And it's all good. Live and let live.

There's so much more I want to say, but I'm choosing my words carefully. I really don't want to offend anybody, and for some reason, food is such a sensitive subject these days, akin to politics and religion. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm working on resisting the pressure from both extremes. I don't want to feel superior when I eat something healthy. And I don't want to feel inferior when I eat something "dirty". I really don't want to feel anything when I eat. I just want to feed my body and move on with my life. I don't like being told what to feel about my food. I don't want my food to dictate my life. I'd like to think we humans are more than what we eat.

So, that's my take. Balance and moderation. And no drama.

The end.

Comments

Amy said…
YES, YES, YES!!! thank you!! :) I'm ALLLLL about moderation in most things in life, including food! Even when I start attempting to lose weight after this baby, I won't cut out something completely from my diet. I may reduce it, but why would I cut it out if I'm intending on having it again someday?? I don't feel guilty eating comfort food or dessert, and I love when I do eat 'healthy' and fresh.

However, like you, my biggest restriction is the money (and currently the baby inside who doesn't like anything right now except pizza rolls... something I haven't had in at least 10 years!!).

I have no problem encouraging someone who has decided to go extreme in their food habits, because hey, it's their body and choice, not mine, so I will support them.

But I hope no one ever expects me to be just like them. ;) It ain't gonna happen! :)
sethswife said…
I feel the same way. Like, it's great for someone to make individual choices, like my sister for example. She's never pushy about it. She never announces it. She never backdoor brags about it. And it's awesome. It's the reverse that sorta grates at me sometimes. I'm sorta tired of the food obsession that has permeated society currently.

When I hear about someone eating clean or organic or vegan or what not, almost every time, my first thought is, some of us are concerned about eating. Period. When the budget says you can spend this much, you've gotta make do with what you have!

And pizza rolls so remind me of my grandma's house. Enjoy them!