Late Night Thinkings

I was ready to be married when I was thirteen years old.

I can hear you now. Whoa, whoa, whoa. Back the matrimonial train up. 


How can anyone be ready for marriage at thirteen? How can someone who just recently hit double digits be emotionally mature enough to handle the responsibility of a spouse and family? What about education? What about independence? What about life experience?

All I can tell you is that I would gladly have traded those things to be Seth's wife.

Yes. At thirteen.

I didn't have money or special skills. I couldn't have thrown a fancy wedding. I didn't have experience with dating or a lot of relationship skills under my belt.

I basically had one thing: commitment.

I can't pinpoint exactly when it was, but I do know that within several months of meeting Seth, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was it for me. Before there was ever a romantic overture of intention, before we were ever boyfriend and girlfriend, before there was ever so much as a single touch shared between us, I knew.

This sort of freaky premonition seems to be a common thread among the women in my family.

And though he was unrefined in his thought processes and perhaps much less in tune with the idea of marriage, Seth has said that he always knew it would be me too.

But there was a problem. In our society, in modern times, you can't get married at that age. You're still a child until this magical birthday when the government says you can be a grown up now. We have extended childhood and immaturity all the way into the third decade of life, especially for boys. And also, marriage is only marriage when it's signed, sealed and officiated by the state.

I've been doing a little study into ancient marriage customs of the Israelites. And although I've read all this stuff before, it's so easy to gloss over it. Nowhere in God's rules do we find a layout of customs that make marriage legitimate. Sure, there are a lot of rules about sex and where you may not go to seek out a mate (like your family, your gender, or your livestock). But I can't find anything that says you aren't married if you don't have a legal document stating so, or unless you stood in a church and promised to love, honor and cherish.

The Jews did have customs. And though they were not mandated by God, Jesus did refer to them a lot. In that culture, a couple was considered legally married if a man, a woman (usually a quite young woman) and her father all shared some wine.

I think I lost the Baptists right there.

The wine drinking signified commitment. The couple was now working with the other in mind. The man would go back to his father's house and build a room for them to share. The woman would spend the meantime learning how to run a house and be a wife and mother. When the room was ready, he'd come back for her. The marriage would be, er, um, consummated in a tent for seven days. Then there would be a party.

But throughout that entire time, which sometimes lasted years, they were man and wife.

For interesting parallels check this out.

So, anyway, sometimes I wonder why we Christians in America today think we've got this marriage thing owned.

Marriage is supposed to be lifelong commitment. Its intentions are two fold: reproduction and reflection of the beautiful relationship Christ has with his people.

It's not about owning a piece of paper that says the government says you are married.

And I'm not saying I think we should do away with weddings. Weddings are fun. They're good parties. I got to wear a pretty dress that day. So that was nice. But my commitment to Seth wasn't solidified when I walked down the aisle and put a ring on his finger. I had already been committed for six years.

So in the simplest sense, I had already been Seth's wife since I was thirteen. It just wasn't sanctioned by the state. I wasn't religiously allowed to consummate it. And I wasn't socially allowed to say it out loud.

Does all this sound blasphemous? Probably. It's pretty deeply ingrained in us that marriage = legal ceremony.

But I often find myself musing outside of the box.







Comments

Miranda said…
Inside the box is boring.
Caleb Gibbs said…
How would you understand the concept from Genesis of leaving father/mother and cleaving to spouse? This seems to signify that in this commitment, there needs to be a public break of some kind.
sethswife said…
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Marriage, at its roots, is a man and a woman in life long commitment. The customs that surround marriage are cultural.

I was also musing about how Christians insist on being so counter cultural, but the way we handle marriage is by and large straight out of our culture.

Anyway, just musing. :)
Amy said…
I still don't understand why turning 18 suddenly makes you mature...

I liked this post! Good food for thought.

I'm not sure what Caleb means by a public break of some sort. (asking out curiosity, not being argumentative). Wouldn't just moving out of one's parents house and into a 'new' house with your spouse be what this verse says?

I laughed at your comment that America thinks we have marriage down... which is why the divorce rate is right around 50%, right?? ;) I think the ceremony is placed ahead of commitment in our society. :(

and just so i can be 'weird' like the parsons girls, I knew I was going to marry Bryan the DAY I met him (though I wasn't thrilled about it at that moment). ;) i love when God's plans trumps our own! :)

Good musings, Friend! Muse away anytime! :)
Caleb Gibbs said…
That is possibly true. It does seem that Christians often mimic the world but put a Christian spin on the process. Christmas/Easter/weddings/funerals/etc. How often are we distinctly different?
sethswife said…
It also made me think about how much harder we've made purity now that we've stretched youth for so long and thrown dating and courtship into the mix.
Amy said…
wasn't dating/courtship in the mix back then though? maybe not for as long, but i thought being betrothed (even if not by choice) was a type of courtship?
sethswife said…
From all the study I've found, betrothal was marriage. And while attraction could certainly occur before betrothal, there wasn't this idea that you got to spend your teen years having relationships with a bunch of people. You didn't get to "try people on". You picked (or your parents picked). You got married. You stuck with it. The only end to betrothal was divorce.
Emily Pyles said…
I was musing on your muse (Great Band!) on the way home from work yesterday.

I think you can't leave this without thinking of the social aspects of being responsible members of our society. In our culture, if you are under 18 many things are hard to acquire and providing for a family is extremely difficult. Hurdle # 1: Obtaining credit such as needed to sign a lease, use a credit card, etc. Hurdle #2: Driving age. Hurdle #3: Obtaining a job. In order to get most jobs you must have a high school diploma or GED. Trying to get this while working minimum wage to support a family would be very difficult. Hurdle #4: Bringing a child into the world as a teenager is extremely difficult. Goodness, it was hard enough to figure out at 25. There are several other hurdles I could list but these are the top of my list.

All this being said, it's plausible to make a marriage work, but would it be really responsible? I get what you're saying that the commitment is there, but I can't say the same amount the majority of teenage relationships. In mine, I made the commitment from day 1 and told my husband at 16 I would not date him unless he could see himself marrying me. The commitment was there, but I still don't think it would have been right to consider ourselves married before God because honestly, we would not have had the ability to take care of ourselves as a married couple. In ancient times, a man could take care of his family at a young age but that just doesn't work now. I know it's purely cultural, but does that make it unbiblical? I don't think so.

Anyway, just my ramblings.
Emily Pyles said…
I do agree on the purity issue. It would make it much simpler if it worked better to be married young.
sethswife said…
Em, I agree with you. It's sort of like, since we have this culture of prolonged youth and so many other responsibilities beyond just feeding, clothing and sheltering family, this is kinda the way it has to work to function in our society.