A Thoroughly Mundane Post

I just realized it's been over a week since my last post. I'm gonna let that slide since the last post was so meaty. It takes a lot out of a person, so I gave myself a break.

My "break" consisted of Thing Two getting Pneumonia. Score!

It's been a fun filled week with fevers, chest x-rays, and the lovely joy of forcing antibiotics and fever reducers down a squirming two year old's throat multiple times a day. I've come to the conclusion I'd be great in a rodeo. Thankfully, he's doing better today. No fever since yesterday, slept all night, and returned to being a brat first thing this morning (at 6:50). He has spent the morning trying to wake his brother up and using his toothbrush to scrub his toes. Now he's watching "Super Why" on PBS because I need a minute for Pete's sake. I read an article last night that said that two year olds watching tv led to overweight, underactive, unintelligent ten year olds. To those in charge of this study, I stick out my tongue. Two year olds not watching any television leads to mentally unstable mothers.

In school, we're working through our time and money unit. I never realized how illogical telling time was until I tried to explain it to a five year old. Hours are no problem. Minutes are a bit of a haze. Phonics has been going well. I'm still waiting for it all to "click". He can sound out words pretty well, but I wouldn't call it reading quite yet. Maybe today we'll attempt an early reader.

A couple of weeks ago, I signed us up for Netflix. I am in love.

So there ya have it. A glimpse into my oh so exciting life. I'm going to clothe my children and send them outside. Then I'm going to soak my house in Lysol. Fare thee well.

Comments

Nate said…
Isn't PBS fantastic? Jack's addicted to Curious George and Super Why. (No Disney for us though...he might watch Handy Manny occasionally, but that's it).

As far as the TV watching goes, I read that article as well, and what they fail to mention is that excessive TV watching when you are 2 only leads to fat, lazy 10 year olds because if you let your kid watch a ton of TV at 2, you will most likely let him watch a ton of TV all the way to 10 as well...hence the fatness. If your kid watches under 1-2 hours of TV at 2 and is active the rest of the time or even during TV (Jack doesn't stop running around or playing while watching) then there is essentially no inclination for obesity. There are way too many factors that come into play (parents are lazy in TV as well as eating habits). I just don't like studies like that because it's not real science. Too many independent variables to account for. It's just a headline (jumping off of nerd podium)

And any scientist who participates in those studies clearly doesn't have kids of their own.

And we also signed up for Netflix (removing cable) to have something for our sanity (who wants to sit and talk all night). We just might be addicted as well (the instant streams of Thomas the Train and Veggietales might have pushed us over)
sethswife said…
i admit, my kids do watch a lot of tv, especially when someone in the house is sick. but it hasn't stopped either of them from being "active" (which is a nice way of saying constantly running around outside or in the house.)neither do they have trouble with imaginative play. i watched a lot of tv when i was young too. i even remember doing homework while watching tv in highschool(gasp!) you're right, obesity has way more factors than just tv. yet, every so often, i ban it just like my mom used to. kinda like a body cleanse.