Why I'm glad I stayed



A lot of people my age give up on church. They grow frustrated with ideologies that they disagree with or the prevalent attitude that is displayed, or by the conservatism or staunchness or hypocrisy that they perceive. So eventually, they stop trying and decide to love Jesus all on their own and denounce the church altogether.

At one time, I was *this* close to being among the casualties.

I can remember when each week, I left church discouraged. Ready to quit. Longing to go elsewhere. In my early twenties, I struggled with the sins I saw that I thought were ignored. I loathed how it took years and years for things to change. I felt like I had no voice, no place, that I would never be heard.

But try as I might, I never had a peace about leaving.

So we stayed.

Not a day goes by that I'm not grateful that we stayed. Seriously. Not a single day.


Were there things in the church that were wrong? Yes.

Were there things in me that were wrong? Even yesser.

If I had left, I might never have realized my own pride. I might never have discovered what real love looks like. I might never have learned how to disagree with someone and still greatly respect them at the same time.

I've heard a list of reasons why it's better to leave the church. There isn't a place for me. Nothing ever changes. Jesus isn't here. I used to feel all of these things. But now, I get to thinking about how wrong my notions were. There was a place for me--a gentle dissenter. It was painful, and very humbling, but God got me to the point where I could disagree with a right spirit (after I majorly failed a few times). Things did change--my church looks wildly different than it did ten years ago. The atmosphere is sweeter, friendlier, dare I say, more like Jesus. It took some time and some difficult years for our church, but God was working in hearts all along, even when I thought no one was listening. Jesus was there--if he's in me, he's in my church! And how self-absorbed was I to think that I had the corner on all things theological?

I've learned that church isn't going to be perfect. Not until Jesus comes back. Church is full of sinners, of whom I am chief. Believers aren't meant to be an island. We need community. We need to hear each other pray and see each other grow and meet each other's needs. Iron needs to sharpen iron. Sometimes, we need to disagree so that God can teach us something big, or show us how to love without conditions, or work a miracle right before our eyes.

I remember sitting around discussing all the problems our church was having with my equally frustrated family and hearing my mom say "Love is the answer."

Don't you hate it when your mom is right?

A believer's relationship with the church is much like a marriage relationship.

Love stays, even when things suck.

Love prays and gently encourages godly change.

Love is humble.

Love isn't concerned about feeling like it belongs, but in serving others.

Love covers a multitude of sins.

You can't love Jesus and not love Jesus' bride. Even when they sin. Especially when they sin! You cannot distance yourself from those whom you'll share Heaven with and still proclaim that you are Christlike. You can't glorify God and hate God's people.

And again, like marriage, it's beautiful to watch God weave a church together, to see discipline and forgiveness play out before your very eyes in real, tangible ways. It's humbling to serve and see how God uses you for the good of someone else. And it's utterly miraculous to have a huge extended family and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that when a need in your life arises, you have a place to go.

Our pastor often says relationships are messy. Sin so easily mars and destroys. But human relationships are where the redeeming grace of God can really shine through. I've learned more from people who are not like me than I ever learned from people who are a lot like me. We need each other.

Jesus has loved me unconditionally throughout seasons of my life when I barely acknowledged that he was my Savior, when I was drowning in willful sins and only serving myself.

Because of that, I will love his bride unconditionally and vow to get through the tough times.

Families gotta stick together, after all.



Comments

Jessica said…
Wow! I am a friend of Judy Kirtland on Facebook, and she shared this link on her newsfeed. This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing your heart and promoting the to precious gift body of Christ in the church. God bless you today!
Miranda said…
From another "gentle dissenter" I can only say ditto. You read my thoughts. Now I don't have to blog today. :)
sethswife said…
Thank you!

And Miranda, that seems to happen a lot with you and me.
Kyle said…
"You cannot distance yourself from those whom you'll share Heaven with and still proclaim that you are Christlike."

But this is what exclusivist churches do to those who want to or wind up leaving. If it's one person up against an entire culture, wouldn't leaving the (or that specific) church be a reverse o putting "away from yourselves the evil person?

"You can't glorify God and hate God's people."

Agreed. Hopefully some of the bloggers who have written on leaving the church don't hate God's people.

"she and her husband "are struggling to find a faith community in which we feel we belong. But I’m not entirely sure that’s the right goal."

It may not be the main goal, but I would argue it is a goal for every church-going believer, for better or for worse. With all of the different Christian denominations, from my perspective, we are seeing a new denomination of believers who are able to connect with like-minded worshippers throughout the world with technology, but unable to fellowship (i want potato said now) with those believers in their local community.

I've been in churches that do diversity incredibly well with no distortion of the gospel. I've been in churches that are just as hostile toward people like Rachel Evans. I believe the latter is a toxic environment. Seems natural that someone would want to leave a toxic environment.
Kyle said…
*potato salad, not potato said. mmmmmmm....fellowship.
Kyle said…
What I don't think is the "right" goal is worshipping with only like-minded believers (like my previous comment may have suggested). But like you said, relationships get messy. When they get abusive, it should be ended.
sethswife said…
I'm not saying there isn't a time to leave a church, especially when sin is continually promoted in said church (but I don't think one fellowships sin is cause to leave the "big C" church). And the limit for how much one is supposed to take is different in every circumstance and should be Bible and Holy Spirit directed, and made after seeking wise counsel. But, I am disheartened when I hear of people leaving because of music, preaching style, conservatism, politics, or minor irritations that aren't hills we need to die on. Love toughs it out.

I liken it to my marriage so much. There was a time when things looked hopeless for Seth and me. If one of us had left, we would never have seen that obedience and sticking with it reap huge blessings. HUGE. The way I feel about my marriage is how I feel about my church--even my evangelical affiliation. God makes it beautiful. God redeems the sin. God fixes what is broken.
sethswife said…
I also believe 1 Corinthians 13 applies to our spiritual abusers.
Crystal (Fulara) Baker said…
kathy, what a great post!
Kyle said…
I think all believers can think of reasons to leave a church, yes. Some believers have found reasons to leave many churches consecutively. When you've left all the churches in your area, what next? Perhaps it is the responsibility of the believer to pick up and move wherever necessary to remain in a "little c" church?

Rachel Evans agreed with you that "one fellowships sin is cause to leave the "big C" church" and I look forward to the blog she mentioned that will explain why she hasn't done that. But is leaving church akin to leaving Church? I think for some believers, leaving church is a desperate effort to keep themselves in Church.

I think 1 Corinthians 13 applies as well, but leaving ≠ hating or not loving. I think that kind of correlation is part of the driving wedge. We are to love our spiritual abusers the same way we are to love our physical abusers. I would still advise victims of either abuse to get out.
Kyle said…
*is NOT cause to leave the big C church
sethswife said…
I can think of so many things I would have missed out on or not learned had I left little c church. That's all I'm saying. I finally decided to trust God to teach me and others in my local congregation, and things are working out pretty dang well.

This is not always true, I know. I'm only relating my personal experience and encouraging those who are struggling that it very well could be worth it to endure a time of annoyance, discomfort, or dissatisfaction.
sethswife said…
I also know that if I was not part of a local body, I would become a spiritual (and physical) hermit.

I need pushed out of my comfort zone to really get into the nitty gritty of the things God wants to change in me. I need face to face interaction.

And I don't want to be the only one teaching myself God's Word. Way too easy to fail there.
Kyle said…
I appreciate your personal account and the encouragement you are providing to others.

I'd like to reference the blogger Hannah's #1 reason for not leaving the church:

"I believe that there is no such thing as Church (with a capital “C”) without church (with a lower case “c”)--as messy and as difficult as that may be."

Do you agree with that or would you amend it to include "most of the time." or "at least in my experience"? I think it is totally viable for someone to believe that for themselves. But either it is the gospel truth, or the shape of a believer's individual soul.

"I can think of so many things I would have missed out on or not learned had I left little c church."

But without actually leaving, you have no insight on what people who do leave church learn (nor knowldge of if they don't learn at all). You are currently missing out on the things that they are learning. Or perhaps, you are both attending Church, just different services.

Again, I really appreciate your personal account and I know you aren't saying "everyone do as I do". Really I just see 2 Church members with different personal experiences.
Kyle said…
"I also know that if I was not part of a local body, I would become a spiritual (and physical) hermit"

If my wife needed to go to a 9-5 job while raising a young child, she would go crazy. Conversely, a close friend of mine would go crazy NOT working a 9-5 job, as she is very proud of what she does.

Both great moms! :]
Kyle said…
I suppose I would have a different reaction if Hannah's #1 reason for why I stayed in the church was:

"I am unable to experience Church (with a capital “C”) without church (with a lower case “c”)--as messy and as difficult as that may be."
sethswife said…
What Hannah is saying is that you can't have a thriving relationship with Christ and not have a relationship with fellow believers--a softness of heart, a loving attitude, a humility. Without bitterness.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

That might look different in different cases, and that's not so much the issue.
Anonymous said…
Wow, Kathy! Thank you! There is much more that I want to say, but I can't seem to put it in words right now, so just THANK YOU!!!
Kyle said…
Then I would reiterate that leaving church ≠ abandoning a relationship with believers. It abandons the physical relationship with the believers inside the building you no longer attend, but anything further is up to completely unique experiences. I am able to interact with my family every day through the wonders of technology despite living hundreds and hundreds of miles apart. People maintain relationships in an enormous number of ways these days.

I would also say that a hardness of heart, a hateful attitude and bitterness is not a prerequisite of leaving church (although for many it might). To assume as much is to abandon your spiritual relationship with the believer who chooses to leave church.

"Where two or more are gathered...". Husband and wife may be enough for some. A small house church. A Facebook group. This is not the case for many believers, but certainly is the case for some.
sethswife said…
I will leave it at this: as long as I am physically able, I will attend and be active in a local church body. I will sing with, pray with, worship with, and eat with my family on a regular basis. I will submit myself to Pastoral headship. I will serve where I am able. I will accept reproof from those who love me and know me well.

Not because I feel commanded to do so, or because I think it's the only way Jesus can reach me.

But because I want to embrace every opportunity I have to grow in him and be used by him.

There are times in history and places in the world where believers have been killed for meeting regularly.

So it seems so trite for me to look on their sacrifice and say "But my church keeps playing the organ."

Among other things.

:)
Kyle said…
That's awesome and God bless you

It's disappointing though that people's spiritual abuse would be put on the same level as not being able to put up with organ music (yes there are people with the mindset of "church is lame. Hymns are lame. I'm done."). It's runs incredibly deeper than that.

It's not the hymns. It's not the unspoken dress code. It's not the dominance of "old people". It is being systematically pushed into believing that you aren't a "true" Christian...and it's even more than that. For some, the only way to keep a softness of heart, a loving attitude and to remain humble is to leave.

That is my personal experience :]

Good talk, good talk.
sethswife said…
Dang it Kyle, I said I was done! ;)

I'm not lumping together real spiritual abuse with annoyance. Just that it seems like there are far more people that leave based on annoyance (and perhaps some that claim it is abuse).

Legalism harms people. I have experienced it. I understand. I was once taught the lies too. But I believe that Christ's will is forgiveness and change...

for the victim and the oppressor.

God desires for restoration and healing. And sometimes that can even happen under the same roof.

Definitely good talk.
Rebecca Harper said…
good post =) we have STRUGGLED with finding a church here in PA. But i'm glad we stuck with it. Zach always tells me I could write a blog about it. I think we visited almost 20 churches in a 1.5yr period, stayed at one church about 8 months (even did a bible study!) only to move on. We found a church we both liked, but the very next week we went back, I was in labor & then I had Ben. So then we limped along forever, one parent going to church & one parent staying at home with the preemie. Talk about a slow way getting into a church. At any rate I am happy we persisted (this church is kinda far away) instead of giving up & going to a close church that we only liked "medium". It has been quite the struggle but it is worth it. I can't say we are totally involved but I am thinking baby steps here =)

And wow you've got a lot of comments on this post.