War of the Onesies

Boy or girl, our baby essentially will have one outfit upon its arrival, aside from the plain white onesies I've got stocked up. I have no girl clothes. And the boy clothes are all the wrong season. I'm not worried though. For one thing, it will be hot. Onesies and a light blanket will do for a few days after he/she's born until I can send Hubby to the store to pick up a couple sleepers. With either gender, I know my sisters will supply me with stuff too. If I get around to it, I'll probably run to Once Upon a Child and see if there are any lightweight, gender neutral clothes.

I did, however, purchase a "going home" onesie for a boy and a girl.



Then, being the proficient homemaker that I am, I proceeded to hang them on the hallway cabinet handle.




They've been there for weeks.

Somewhere along the way, a silent war began surrounding those onesies. Without even noticing, I had hung the "Little Brother" onesie on the outside. I have a very visual memory, so I noticed one day when I was gathering laundry that the "Little Sister" onesie was now hanging on the visible side. Seth did that on purpose, I thought. He's mentioned repeatedly that he thinks it's a girl. I'm less than convinced. With a smirk, I switched it back.



And thus it began. Back and forth, at least once or twice a day (more on the weekends), the onesies fight for top billing. We don't say anything about it. I don't know if it's because he really thinks it's a girl and I really think it's a boy or, more likely, we're just quirky and stubborn and find strange ways to flirt.



I don't know how it will all end. Will it continue after I wash the onesies and put them in the hospital bag? Probably not, because at that point, I would just let him win rather than go to all the trouble to switch it. That would be very anticlimactic indeed.

Yeah...we're weird. But we're okay with it.

Comments

Miranda said…
Funny and well written. And yes, I'll give you clothes.
Amy said…
hehe, this post made me giggle. :)

White onesies just will NOT do! I'm gonna come see the newest kirtland at the hospital and bring it some COLOR, whether it's blue or pink! :)

EEEK! I'm excited for you!! :)