Feathering My Nest

I have been doing things.

Lots of things.

Things that make me really sore.

And tired.

Nesting always kicks in during the third trimester, when my ankles swell and my joints ache and I can't bend or move easily and I get contractions from doing things. Why can't it come during the second trimester, after the puking stops and before I move like a beached whale?

But at least it comes, I guess. And things get done.

I only have two weeks until my deadline. I've given myself till 37 weeks to get all my big projects done, and hopefully most of my small ones. Thing Two was born at 37 weeks. I wasn't ready.

I'm happy to share a few of the things I've completed.

We've scored some major deals in the garage sale/thrift store arenas recently.

I was scouring garage sales and craigslist for a long time looking for something we could use as extra kitchen storage. I was thinking a small hutch or something like that, but then I came across this cabinet at a garage sale. It caught my eye as having potential, was well made, and was ten bucks.

I snatched it.




For awhile I thought this might be an antique, because it certainly comes across that way. But after examining it, I found places where it hadn't been painted or stained with newer boards and decided it was just really well built and antiqued. I like the door, but I admit, I have no idea what to do with it yet. So for now, we took it off and are storing it in the basement.

Then I did what I always do: apply forty thousand coats of creamy white paint.

Tada!






I heart having more storage space. This project drove me to clean out several cabinets too. I'm thinking about painting the bread box, just haven't decided on a color. Plus, it's been WAY too hot to spray paint anyway. I also store some glass bowls on this, but they were in the dishwasher, along with the crockpot.

The other project I don't have before pictures for, because I really didn't do that much in the way of major changes. Our bedroom floor needed a fresh coat of paint (yes, paint on the floor, just deal with it). That required moving everything out (thank you, honey) and camping in our living room for a few days. But what a difference fresh paint makes!



We also scored this HUGE closet/armoire thing from Goodwill. We needed something big to store all our clothes in, since our little closet is going to be the baby's "room" for awhile. This thing is so big, all of our clothes fit in it without having to have another dresser in the room! It was a ton of work to get this home, then take it apart, then put it back together again, but it was so worth it. Thank you so much to Seth and his friend Micah for doing that. It's just what we needed, and the mirrors make the room feel a lot bigger.






Now I just have to finish the baby's "room".


And think of accent colors. The doors that used to be on the closet are the perfect size for a king sized headboard. I just can't decide what color to paint it. I thought about black until we brought home the brown closet thing. Now I don't know. The walls are a really light blue gray. Any suggestions? I kinda feel blues in here, but I'm having trouble committing. I'd like an accent color on the bed somewhere too, like in pillows or a throw. I love having white bedding though. Bleach is my best friend.



I have been working on this room since we moved in eight years ago. It has been painted and rearranged so many times, but in the past two years, I feel like it's starting to come together. Right now it's my favorite room in the house. Relaxing, clean (for now) and calm. Here's a few shots of the things I love in here: our personal photos and verses, the sign my sister gave us, and the Ikea chandelier we bought a few years ago.








So, that's why I haven't been blogging much. Besides getting the baby's "room" ready, I just have one other big project. Posting those soon. :)

Comments

Amy said…
I'm so glad you wrote something. My blogging world has been so quiet lately. Even the craft ones seem to be on summer vacation.

LOVED all the pics. Love the projects you are working on. Your room looks VERY fresh. If I were you'd I'd want to be in there all day... napping. :)

Look forward to baby's room pics and the other project you have planned.
Carrie said…
Kathy I love your style! SEriously I've been looking forward to more since your painting white post...I love white furniture!!! here's a link to someone who I think has similar tastes and her bedroom tour....and the colors she has to go with light color walls and such.

http://thenatos.blogspot.com/search/label/decor
sethswife said…
Thanks ladies! Amy, I DO want to nap in there all day. But if I stay in there too long, my children bring in masses of toys. And I hate that. Thanks Carrie for the link. I'm lusting after her bedding now. I was thinking a gray blue for the headboard might be pretty. I think I'm sure now. :) And any "style" I have has come from 8 years of making design choices that I ultimately hated. I used to hate the pales and all whites, but now, I just think they're safer, and easier to adjust when my tastes change!
Laura said…
I love your baby's "room" - ours will have their room in the hallway and bathroom :) Loving the bedroom redo.