Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and erase things I don't want to remember. Things I'm not proud of. Things I wish I had done differently. Things that pinch to remember. Things that still bring tears to my eyes. I find myself envying those with spotless lives and unwavering faith, those people that have never had to clean up a mess they made with their own hand.

But then again, I have doubts that anyone like that truly exists.

We all have secrets. We all have shame. And we've all been hurt.

So why is it so easy to slip into the mindset that I have it harder than someone else?

Easy answer: Pride. Seth and I have been studying pride for almost a year now. Over and over we have seen that every sin we encounter has its roots in pride. Every wayward thought, every act of willful disobedience, every sinful mess starts with pride.

It was pride that made Eve doubt God's instructions. It was pride that urged David to steal another man's wife and arrange his death. It was pride that formed Ananias and Sapphira's lie.

Pride whispers in our thoughts that we know better than God. That somewhere along the line, He made a mistake, and it's up to ourselves to fix it. Pride tells us that we got the short end of the stick and God is against us. Pride puts the reigns in our unable grasps.

We've learned that pride isn't always obvious. It's not always boastful and arrogant. Sometimes, it sneaks in, disguised in our sorrows or regrets. It lies under the radar, slowly growing and eating away at our understanding that God is good, and wise, and sovereign.

Pride lies to us that what we want is what we need. More money, more talent, a better home, a better job, a better spouse, a better church. Maybe we've lost something precious. Maybe our dreams aren't coming true. Maybe our situation offers no easy solutions. Pride validates our frustrations and irritations until they become so big that we can't see that they are unjustified. We grow embittered when God's plan doesn't match our ideas of a happy life, and suddenly, the thing we want consumes us and following God's plan is less significant.

Like Sarah's plot to give Abraham a son. Like Jacob bartering for a birthright. Like Israel's begging for a king.

Pride says God's way won't work.

So we do things our way.

And fail.

And when we realize that it was pride that led us there, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

But if the cause of our heartache is as simple as pride, the solution is as simple as humility. It's as easy as surrendering control to someone skilled where we are clumsy, wise where we are foolish, and sovereign where we are so limited.

Humility is understanding that faith is a better choice than self fulfillment. Humility casts aside any ideas of greatness or justification and sees others as more important than self.

Humility is the Creator of the world washing dirt and manure off the disciple's feet.

Humility is the fingers that formed the stars touching a leper's skin.

Humility is the Divine dying on a cross.

If Jesus didn't think equality with God was so important, how can we who are full of sin hope to measure up?

We can't. We never will. And trying leaves us hollow.

Contentment comes with understanding our role and pursuing it.

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with the humble is wisdom." Proverbs 11:2



Comments

Amy said…
I was really behind on my blog reading. I read 93 blogs and was totally caught up and then all of the sudden BING and there is a (1) beside my google reader. Thankfully I'm still up working on lesson plans and can get rid of that (1) before I go to sleep. :) You are blog number 94 of my day. WOW!!!

Okay, I myself was feeling a pride/humility blog entry coming on. My small group is reading the book From Pride to Humility. It's been a real eye opener. Some areas are obvious (wanting praise, bragging, etc.) but I never considered it was prideful to have a poor me attitude.

After reading that book I felt (and still feel) frozen- like everything I do or say is prideful. Even when I don't think I'm being prideful, somehow I am. UGH!

Thankfully the book offers several ways to become more humble. The most important is prayer- asking God to help us.

Anyway, I'm too tired to go on any more. I want to work on lesson plans. GREAT blog entry. :)
Amy said…
And I know I didn't probably list that book title and there were a few other questionable punctuation things... I'm always fearful when I leave a comment on your blog. :)
sethswife said…
Haha, don't worry about punctuation and stuff. That's MY pride problem! ;) I would never correct anybody but my family b/c I know they'll do the same for me.

One of our favorite humility books is "Humility: True Greatness" by C.J. Mahaney. It was convicting and very encouraging. It helped us both change. Before then, I had never realized too that the woe is me attitude was just a form of pride. It makes it easier for me when I just try to get into the mindset of Christ. And watching how life works so much better when I'm not consumed with myself is certainly a wonderful reward! Of course...still working on it. ;)