The Mission (OFF, #2)

With a confidence that surprises her, she raises her hand.

“I will go.” She hears her voice say, thus solidifying her resolve.

Firelight flickers over the solemn faces of the council members as they glance at her and each other. She knows what they are thinking. They don’t want to accept her proposal.

But she also knows they have no choice.

An elder clears his throat. “You understand what you are risking?”

She swallows. “I do.”

She feels the heat of his stare on her cheek but refuses to look at him. She focuses on the council, jaw set, eyes fervent.

Finally, they concede. “Let it be so.”

She nods and rises from her position at the fire. “Thank you. It will be my honor.”

She hears his heavy footsteps following her away from the fire, yet she doesn’t acknowledge him.

“What are you doing?” he demands.

“What do you mean? I’m going on a mission.”

He grabs her hand and forces her to face him. “No. You’re not.”

Her demeanor gentles as she steps toward him. “I have to. I’m the only chance we’ve got.”

“No. I’ll go.”

She scoffs. “That would never work. You’re a man. They would kill you on the spot.”

“I’d rather that than what they’ll surely do to you.” She hears the slight waver in his voice, the emotion. She puts her hand on his bristled cheek.

“But they’ll let me in. And it will be enough distraction for them. We’ll have a fighting chance.”

“It’s a suicide mission.”

“Maybe so.” She whispers. “But they have already taken my home. Killed my family. Let me go.”

He kisses her fiercely. He’s trying to sway her, she knows. She lets him try. “I can’t lose you.” he chokes.

“I’m sorry. But I must do this.”





Comments

Jared said…
I love how this ends. Just awesome.
sethswife said…
thanks. it's inspired by a dream i had the other night.
Miranda said…
you know this belongs with about 75,000-100,000 other words on the shelf of a bookstore, right?
sethswife said…
now you sound like my husband. and i'll tell you what i told him. i'll get to it. maybe. one of these days.
sethswife said…
and i wrote it in present tense. i thought you hated that, mandy.