How Can I Keep From Singing Part 2

I know what you're thinking...Part two??? Part one was already forty million words too long. But, as you know, God likes to continue teaching when you think you've got a handle on something. He's good like that.

We are traveling, and as such, we found ourselves worshiping "abroad" this past week. The church we visited could easily be defined as a mega church. We're talking three separate services, thousands of parishoners, stadium seating mega church. Huge. There are shuttles from the parking lot and elevators.

I'm not really a big church kind of girl. It's not that there's something wrong with big churches, they just don't appeal to me personally. I felt like I was going to a show, not to a church service. There's something about smaller congregations and real church pews that I find endearing, probably because I've always been a part of smaller churches. So, flashy sets, spotlights and neon colors and brightly hued television sets onstage turn me off.

The music, of course, was performed very well, because in a church of thousands, you're bound to find good musical talent. I didn't hear any pitch or harmony problems and everything seemed well coordinated and well rehearsed.

But, I still felt like something was missing. Like everything was a little too rehearsed, ya know? Like, the smiles were a little too bright and the clothing a little too coordinated, as if it was all designed to "trick" me into enjoying myself.

I know it's not fair to make a blanket statement about each individual on stage faking it, and I know beyond a doubt there was real worship going on in hearts in that church. But just as someone can easily fake it anywhere else, I'm sure there was also a lot of performing going on. In a church with live telecasts, there's definitely a pressure to be "on" all the time and look and sound a certain way.

Another thing I noticed, not just about the music, but about the service as a whole, was that there was very little mention of sin at all--in the sense that we have a burden of sin that only Jesus can free us from, and that it's a daily struggle. We were assured that the person preaching was a really great guy, and I honestly don't doubt it. But Seth and I found ourselves scribbling notes to each other and noticing points that seemed to be missing. It also felt like the environment was ripe for emotional response with little thought. Our pastor likes to say that when he reads a book, he likes to shake it and see how much Scripture falls out. I applied the same principle to the church service and maybe it was just me, but it felt sort of dry Scripturally.

So, while I understand the draw for some, being at that service just made me hungry for home. For less flash and more substance. To be with people that knew my name (enter "Cheers" theme). And to be challenged to truly confront the sin I like to treasure in my heart and to know that Jesus provides actual, authentic change.

I don't want a concert when I go to church. I don't need snazzy video clips or choreographed musical numbers to enchant me to Jesus. I don't need performances or entertainment. I don't need a dozen poems or jokes or witty examples.  Just give me real. Give me simple. Give me more than one Scripture reference. I don't ever want to go to church to be wowed by what man can do, but rather I want to focus only on what God has done.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, perfectly coordinated music can be just as distracting as poorly done music. Smiles that are too sweet are as bad as no smiles at all. And that the grass may not be greener on the perfectly manicured mega church lawn.

Comments

Amy said…
Fabulous blog entry. Two thumbs up. :)
Anonymous said…
Couldn't agree with you more! Have been "there" and experienced the same thing.
Judy said…
WOW--I had no idea you felt that way about "mega" church. Know one thing, though, churches are not so "mega' when one gets involved or participates in personal worship.
sethswife said…
Absolutely. I think it's even more important in big churches to find an area of service. And Seth and I also thought that perhaps the sin confrontation and Bible study happened more in small groups.

The part I really enjoyed though was the Baptism. That was cool.

But this small town girl will probably always prefer a small church. :)