A Note to Homegirl

Today, you are one.



A year ago at this very moment, I was holding you in my arms with tears in my eyes and the gospel on my lips. I was introducing you to your brothers. I was marveling at you with your Daddy. I was trying to really grasp that I had a little girl.

And, here we are, 366 days later. You are sitting in your high chair and shoving fistfuls of smashed peas into your mouth, laughing and babbling and scrunching up your nose the way you do when you smile.



You can laugh and clap and crawl and cruise now. You can hold up your finger when someone says you're one. You holler at your brothers and get down and stare into George's face while he sighs at you for interrupting his regular napping. You can stand when you're not paying attention and you keep taking an unassisted step or two when you race around the room with one hand on the furniture. You like to look at books and get into your brothers' toys. You're obsessed with water and bathing. You can drink from a cup and feed yourself. I just gave you one of your birthday cupcakes and you are handling it like a champ (that's my girl).



You're a pretty easygoing little girl, and I'm very grateful for that. Sure, you cry as all babies do, but not excessively. You sleep pretty well, eat pretty well, and can entertain yourself with toys pretty well. You let us know you're here, but usually it's with cuteness rather than stress.



Of course, I'd love you if you screamed for two hours every night. Just ask your brother. But it's very nice of you to be relatively accommodating. So thanks for that.

I love your squeals and chatter and your scrunched up smile nose. I love how you dance and shimmy to music. Your intense, curious gaze makes me smile, and I can already tell you are one smart cookie.


Your brothers adore you. I've never sensed a moment of jealousy from them when it comes to you. You are as much their baby as you are mine, although they seem to forget that you can't play like they do yet. They get excited whenever you get up from naps and like to hug you and play with you.




You fit right in with us, and it's hard to believe you weren't always here, making us all smile and bringing us joy.

I love you, Homegirl. Happy birthday.

Comments