Kat's Picks From 2008

Inspired by my pal Jared's blog, I've decided to compile a list of my favorites this past year in the various forms of media. I know you were just dying to know. Sorry I don't have cool graphics like Jared did.

Books, fiction:

The Mark of the Lion Series by Francine Rivers
While I love reading, I admit that I can be a bit put off by a series. I don't like feeling pressure like I HAVE to read this many books. I don't know why, I think it's because I'm extremely lazy by nature. But, after reading everything else by my favorite author, I knew I'd have to bite the bullet and read the much-acclaimed trilogy. Ironically, I had started the first book once before and given up after about 60 pages, but my sister insisted that I at least give it to about page 150. She was sooo right. Never before has fiction affected me in such a way and helped me see my faith in such a light. Anyone who's read these knows that parts are not pretty--there are some very intense scenes involving lions and arenas....but wow. Simply amazing.

Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
Okay, I admit, I didn't first read this book in 2008. Actually I read it at least once every year. Read it, and you'll understand why.

The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyer
Yup, I read them. And I enjoyed them. I may not have liked them for the reasons all the millions of teenage girls in America are swooning for them, but I was really impressed by this series--yes, I know, another series. Who could have guessed that a story about vampires and werewolves could be so compelling to women? They are exciting, well written (although I did find a few typos and grammatical errors that annoyed me) and full of interesting characters. I also liked that, since they are geared toward teenagers, these books gave subtle nods to abstinence and good behavior. I did find that Edward was a little too perfect at times, but I was okay with it. My favorite part was that they made pasty white people cool again.

Books, nonfiction:

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey
He seems to know what he's talking about, and we're hoping to prove him right.

Get Out of That Pit by Beth Moore
The past doesn't have to haunt you. Let Jesus lift you out.

Multiple Blessings by Jon & Kate Gosling
When I start stressing out, it's good to remember that I never had six babies at once...plus twins.

Music:

"Hello Love" by Chris Tomlin--probably his best album yet. This man has been blessed with the ability to write amazing praise songs.

"Comatose" by Skillet: I hadn't much thought of this group since seeing them at their humble beginnings at a tiny concert when I was in highschool. Needless to say, when I saw them again at the end of 2007, I was blown away--quite literally, what with the impressive pyrotechnics.

"Wicked, The Musical": Okay, I actually discovered this in 2007, but I pretty much listened to it constantly during 08. Thing One knows a great deal of the words to "Popular". Other faves are "For Good" and "What Is This Feeling?"

Honorable Mention: "Wonder of the World" by Rush of Fools and "Over and Underneath" by Tenth Avenue North.

Movies:

"The Dark Knight" The masses are right this time. This movie is great.

"Fireproof" I know it goes against everything I stand for movie-wise to commend one dripping with not-so-great acting and cheesy dialogue here and there. But amateur acting and low budget aside, I was very impressed. The story is deeply compelling and relatable to almost anyone with a spouse. And I must add that Kirk Cameron did a great job as well--who knew Mike Seaver could cry? And what about that train scene? Not bad for low budget.

Honorable Mention: Iron Man, Kung Fu Panda, Wall-E and Horton Hears A Who.

So there ya have it, all of Kathy's picks for 08. Don't you feel enlightened?

Comments

Miranda said…
"She was sooo right" And still you doubt me. :)

I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I could only make it through the first 20 minutes or so of Dark Night. Too much darkness and night.
sethswife said…
then you didn't get to the really good parts of the story.