The Way of the World

"As far as why I've never practiced a specific religion, I think I'm just too pessimistic to just wholeheartedly believe in faith, to not examine and question the Bible, or any other religious text's veracity. Frankly, I think I'm too ignorant about different religions to subscribe to one specific one. I also have a hard time trying to be part of a religion that tells me that I am not 'good enough' on my own..."

"I think the reason why *I* don't have religion is because I don't feel like I NEED to believe in something or have faith in anything other than myself..."

"Many religions require members to believe in things I just cannot get behind--like a resurrection. My world, which is pretty heavily-bound by hard facts and science-would not allow such an event to occur."


I came across these statements on a website I occasionally visit that's geared for moms and parenting. These were responses to a question posed by a young mother who wanted to raise her child with no religion and wondered if anyone else felt the same. These answers are just a sampling of the anti-religion posts on this board. On this specific thread, there were a few answers from real Christians, and some from other religions like Mormon and Catholic. But for the most part, everyone agreed "to each his own" and that religion and faith don't need to play a part in their child rearing.

This is why I don't visit this site very often. The scope of the depravity of man and the need for a Savior is almost overwhelming, and yet these are the two things that most people adamantly deny. Any time a Christian gently responds or shares their faith, they are either attacked as being narrow minded and foolish or cast aside with a comment such as "Well, that works for YOUR family, but..."

My heart breaks for these women, and so many people like them, who believe in themselves more than anything else. How empty it must be to only have yourself to count on. I know myself. Sure, I'm a "good person". But I know the real me, the me that is wicked, selfish, proud, argumentative, sarcastic, unloving... I'm not really a good person when put under the microscope.

I am troubled for believers as well. This is a difficult day and age to try to reach for Christ. The media and modern science have told people that they don't need to seek answers in God's Word. They have portrayed the Bible as nothing more than a literary text from the past, which is no longer applicable now that science has answered all of life's questions. People want to be pegged as rational, not faithful. If I can't see it, I won't believe in it. And while it's easier to connect with people all over the world through the internet, it is ten times harder to tell them of Christ. You don't really know them, and they don't really know you, for the most part anyway. People can debate freely, but have no obligation to consider the opposing viewpoint. More and more I'm convinced that the way to be a witness today is through relationships. Neighbors, coworkers, family members...these are the ones I am most able to reach. People need to see the love of Christ in action. They need to know that Christians aren't foolish, mindless robots who never admit a mistake. They need to understand that faith in God has nothing to do with being religious.

Christ is coming soon. I expect Him at any moment. How am I helping others to be ready?

Comments

Nate said…
Wait...we make mistakes?? You must not be a very good Christian :)

But tis true about the whole close-minded thing, hence the huge debate surrounding Ben Stein's movie...