Ten Things

Heeeeeey. Remember me? I didn't drop off the face of the earth, just this corner of the internet. I've been quite busy with things that aren't writing, but I'm feeling the urge to write again. Which of course means the things I've been busy with (photography, home schooling, painting my house, folding laundry) are going to be ignored. I can only ever focus on one thing at a time. And sometimes that time lasts months.

Lately I feel like there's so much to write about that I can't focus, so I'll start with a ten things post to get the ball rolling.

1. I feel overwhelmed. Not buried (yet), just barely keeping my head above water when it comes to the things I need to do. The summer was extraordinarily busy, and it has bled into a fall that is extraordinarily busy. Maybe life just gets busier and busier and I need to learn how to deal. It's a process for sure. I'm not great with being out of my house a lot or with variations in the routine. The first thing to go is always housework, which leads to me feeling anxious and stressed because of clutter. I feel like I need a couple free days to focus on getting things back in order.

2. Seth is about halfway through paramedic school, and he's doing great. School may be partly why things feel a little scattered around here, because the schedule is so different. But it's worth it because it's making a huge difference in his career and he will love being a paramedic.

3. Actual busyness outside of the house has been accompanied by major busyness inside my brain. There's a lot of info swirling around right now and things certainly don't feel quiet and peaceful in my thinking. World events, politics, theology, counseling, parenting, education, deep existential matters....it's all part of the clutter that needs addressed. Hopefully writing helps that. Or it could make it worse. We'll see.

4. Six episode X-Files event in January. Spread the word.

5. Seth and I just celebrated 20 years of history and 14 years of marriage and that makes me feel a little old but also awesome.

6. Plans are in the works for my mom and hopefully both my sisters and I to go "home" soon for a visit to Illinois where we lived for 21 years. We haven't all been back at the same time in over ten years. I'm already cooking up photo ideas. I dreamed last night that we went and I forgot my camera. Talk about a nightmare.

7. I'm planning to attempt October Flash Fiction this month. As of right now, I have no ideas or inspiration, only an itch to write. Hopefully something formulates.

8. I haven't read a good book in awhile, and now that the weather is changing, I'm really jonesing for a day in bed with pumpkin flavored coffee and a good read. Little things like that are very rejuvenating for me.

9. The other day, we were playing a spelling game in the car on the way home from church. I cannot describe to you how good it felt when my dyslexic son spelled "shoulder" correctly on the first try. Those moments make all the hard work and stress of homeschooling melt into the background. It may seem so insignificant to get all excited about one word, but if you've ever worked long hours to deal with a learning disability, you know how huge of a victory it is. Progress.

10. We no longer have any children in the nursery wing at church. Talk about feeling old.

There. The writing dry spell has been broken. Hopefully more to come.

Comments