Blah, Blah, Blah

Why does everything have to be an extreme?

Why do we have to choose sides over every little thing that comes up and then dogmatically defend our position?

Why do we have to be offended by everything?

Why do I have to read comments on every blog post/status/news article that I read?

Seriously. I'm much less stressed and get into less trouble when I just read books and home decor blogs and hang out on Pinterest.

I want to comment too, but I don't want to, because then I'm really sucked in.

So, in the interest of venting my own opinions, here's a taste of my internal monologue whilst perusing online thingies this week:

"Not everything is the fault of the white, evangelical Christian."

"If you are hired by an organization and sign a contract that states that you will comply with said organization's rules, don't whine when you get fired for breaking the rules. You are free to work somewhere else if you don't like it."

"If you are a parent, do your best to teach your kids good behavior in restaurants and clean up after them when you can (or leave a hefty tip if you can't). If you are a restaurant owner, why in the name of Ron Burgandy's mustache would you install hard to clean carpet underneath tables and expect it to stay clean? Just quit whining about kids and whip out a vacuum cleaner."

"Apparently, every news story on Yahoo can be whittled down to sexual orientation or race."

"Women are welcomed to breastfeed in public, and rightly so. However, if you are not the only one in the room, have a little respect for yourself and everyone else and do it modestly. I know so many awesome moms that have fed their babies in public without anyone realizing they were doing it, so when I hear a story about a woman getting offended about someone asking her to cover up in public while feeding her baby, I have to wonder if that woman is just a drama queen looking for attention. Seriously, you're making the rest of us look bad when you turn a simple non-issue into activism. Is it really a big deal to keep it G rated? I'm not even saying you have to use a blanket. It's completely possible to keep things covered just with your shirt and the baby's head and sitting with your back to the room, etc. Be as considerate of others as you are expecting them to be of you."

"Why is Oprah in so much news lately? Why do we care about her opinions on things?"

(Also, you can insert any Kardashian or cast member of The View into that sentence above.)

(Okay, any celebrity really.)

This concludes this installment of Sethwife's mind rants. Now I shall go read a book.






Comments