Thankfulness



The things I'm most thankful for:

Seth: There aren't words to adequately express how I feel about you. There's hardly a moment that goes by that I am not so thankful that you are the one I get to spend my life with. Everyone probably feels this way about their love story, but seriously, I can't get over ours. It feels special. Unique. Perfect. Even when it's not perfect, it's perfect, ya know?  It's the highlight of my life and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude, not only to you for all that you do for us and all you've become, but to the One who is the author of our story and the only One who can get any credit for the good stuff.



Thing One, Thing Two & Homegirl: You three are treasures to me. Some days I can't believe I get to be your mom. You are really awesome kids. I love that you're quirky and funny and happy. You are totally the best stinkers ever. I'm thankful that you're all three healthy, that we've made it through some serious illnesses and close calls unscathed. I don't take you for granted, not for a second. I'm excited to watch you grow up and get even cooler. You guys make our family complete. And I know sometimes we don't always get along, and sometimes I mess up or you mess up or we all mess up, but always I love you and I'm rooting for you.



My Parents & Sisters: You know how families are supposed to be dysfunctional and fight all the time and stress each other out? I'm so glad we don't do that. I love that all of you are a source of peace for me, a calmness. I feel like our family's like a puzzle. We're all ourselves, but we just fit together somehow and make sense. Besides Seth, you four are my go-to people when I have questions or want to talk about something. From politics to theology to child rearing to the intricacies of creative writing, the buck stops with you guys. I love hanging out with you weirdos. Even if I do always lose the Scrabble games.

Look! We're young...ish!

I have so much to be thankful for. So, so, so much. Much more than I'm listing here. It's not that my life is perfect, but I feel like it's far better than I deserve. I'm at peace. My life is full of happiness and love, and somehow, the trials along the way have only made it sweeter.

And it's all because of You. You are the common thread throughout all my blessings, all the mourning-to-dancing moments of my life. Without you, I'd still be in the mire, rolling around in the filth of my own sin and hating myself for it. I don't deserve to have my feet on the rock, but I give you all the glory for it. Sometimes, I feel like I shouldn't be so happy with my life because surely trouble is just around the corner. But then I remember that being your child means trusting you with the unknown and knowing that you will be faithful just as you always have been. Trials are guaranteed, but you are bigger, stronger, and wiser than any situation I will face. You are my source of everything. Thank you for salvation. For peace. For love. For happiness. For forgiveness. For provision. For your Word. For redemption. For reaching through my sin and developing a relationship with me. Thank you for my husband, my children, my parents and sisters and all the other amazing people in my life that you have blessed me with.



Thank you for your patience with me. For being an awesome teacher. For discipline and correction. For second, third, fourth chances.

Thank you for revealing yourself to me. Me. Someone totally insignificant and unworthy. I may never know why you chose me, but I'll forever be thankful.

Thank you for casting my sin as far as the east is from the west. For not remembering it. How do you do that? Teach me to do that. I want to love others like you have loved me.

I want to be just like you.

Thank you for promising to see me through to the end of this life right through to the beginning of the next. Thank you for never giving up on me.

Even if all I had was you, that would be way more than enough. Your love is lavish.

Thank you.




Comments