A lesson in pride from 7 year old Sethswife

I might have been six. Not really sure about the specifics. All I know is that it was the earliest embarrassing memory I have. And a lesson I have never forgotten.

It was a Sunday morning in our little church. Sunday school was over and the music portion of the service had begun. In our ancient church building, the only restrooms were in the basement, and I'd hurried down to use them just before the service had begun.

When I reached the first flight of stairs, I noticed that the sound from the auditorium was quieter, and I figured Dad was praying or making announcements from the pulpit, so I began to tiptoe up the stairs.

A little girl passed me on the stairs. I don't remember who she was or what family she even belonged to. I only remember that she was a year or two behind me, so therefore, I was the "elder" on the stairs.

As she passed me, I noticed she was staring at me. Of course she was, I thought. I'm older. And wiser. And awesome-er. She must like the way I walk. I gave my nonexistent hips a little swing of vanity to further impress her as I continued up the stairs.

I reached the auditorium and slipped into my seat beside my friend Seth (not my husband Seth--he was still two states away from me at this point). I noticed Seth's face was red with silent laughter. I was about to ask him what his problem was, when I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. Behind me, a sweet older woman named Dora whispered to me that my skirt was tucked into my tights.

I was mortified as I slumped down in my seat, trying to dig my skirt out while Seth shook with laughter. I felt my cheeks burn with embarrassment at the thought of the little girl staring at me on the stairs. It wasn't because I was cool and mature and noteworthy. It was because I was mooning the world.

Twenty some years later, I can still recall the intensity of that moment. I wish I could say I never had another shameful display of vanity, but there were a few instances where God brought that memory to mind in the midst of the temptation to be prideful, to be vain, to think I'm something better than I am.

All my arrogant flouncing could never cover the fact that I am quite insignificant. I'm human. I'm not better than someone else.

But Jesus is.

May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ...Galatians 6:14

Comments