Kat's Picks 2009


It’s that time of year again. Time for the second annual sampling of some of the things I enjoyed in various avenues of media this year--which I understand is something that only I will find any pleasure in, but this is my blog, so just deal with it.

Movies:

“Star Trek” Yeah, I liked it. Got a problem with that? Seriously, this is the first time I have ever given a Star Trek movie a second viewing, especially one related to the original series. My husband thanks you, J.J. Abrams.

“Night At The Museum Battle of the Smithsonian” Plotwise it was weaker than the first, but it made up for it in humor. It made me laugh. Out loud. I couldn’t help it. Hank Azaria is hilarious.

“Up” Even though through much of it I was thinking “Where in the world did they come up with this story??”, Ed Asner’s character reminds me of my dad, so I liked it. And the dog was great. Squirrel!

“New Moon” I only mention this because it was a great improvement over the first movie. Still too teenagery, but at least the acting was slightly improved.

Yeah, that’s all I’ve got. Not because there were no other good movies out this year, but because I really didn’t see very many at all. I have high hopes for “Sherlock Holmes” and “The Time Traveler’s Wife” (even though I’ll probably think the book was so much better because I’m quickly becoming one of those snobs), but I have yet to see them. 2009 was not the year of the theater.

Music:

Meredith Andrews’ “You’re Not Alone” To this day it’s still my favorite song that I ever performed with my hubbie.

Brandon Heath’s album “What If We”, most notably “Love Never Fails”. I listen to it while I write. Fantastic words.

“Fireflies” by Owl City. It’s catchy. And it makes my husband do funny dances. And along that same note…

“Party in the USA” by Miley Cyrus. I know, I know. I’m ashamed to admit it. And I know some people (Jared and Nate) will really make fun of me for that. But I can’t help it. This song comes on and I’m a 16 year old “noddin’ my head like yeah.” Shoot me.


Television:

Fringe (or as I like to call it, The X-Files: The Next Generation)

Castle--Somewhat predictable, but witty and likeable nonetheless.

Lost & Chuck--the two shows I think might have been on at some point in 2009, but barely.

The Show That Shall Not Be Named That I Secretly Really Enjoy But Shall Not Mention Here Because I’ll Get Enough Grief For The Miley Cyrus Song.


Books, Fiction:

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling I’ve finally joined the ranks of the Pot-heads. Wait…that can’t be right.

The Daughters of Boston Series by Julie Lessman One of the “edgier” Christian romance genre series out there. I liked that the characters acted like actual humans rather than saints and had to deal with the consequences of their sin. Life is messy, and I like books that show people dealing with the mess. Good portrayal of sisterhood too.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold There were some tough parts, and of course the theology was crap, but overall this was a very interesting read. Looking forward to the movie.

A Woman’s Place by Lynn Austin Set in 1940’s WW2 era, this novel focuses on the lives of four very different women and the hardships they endure in the face of sexism, racism and the difficulties of war. Very good character development. Four stars from me.

Leota’s Garden by Francine Rivers How did this Rivers’ novel slip under my radar for four years? Great read and very applicable to my life at the time that I read it.


Books, Nonfiction:

Wait, did I read any nonfiction this year? Hmm…Oh yeah! A Praying Life by Paul Miller. I read it when I went through a Bible study on it. An awesome look at prayer and ways to grow in your prayer life. I know, at first glance I was like “snore.” But it’s really good. Even a fiction-lover such as myself enjoyed it.

Websites:

ThePioneerWoman.com Welcome to my life, Ree. And a heartfelt welcome to the layer of fat I have added to my midsection thanks to your recipes.

Comments

Jared said…
....what was that? Sorry I stopped listening after Miley Cyrus
Nate Brock said…
so in your top ten stuff for the year you have 4 teenager obsessions,(i'm including that fire song cause i hear my jr. high kids singing it and harry potter even though its mostly older people now), 2 kid movies, and a website about pioneers?

not sure what that says about you, but at the least you, ma'am, are a diverse woman.
sethswife said…
diverse...and brave to put it all out there KNOWING you guys would find joy in mocking me. and thoughtful, since i brought joy into your lives in a premeditated fashion.

and it's not a website about pioneers. sorta. not really.
Julie Lessman said…
Hey Kat,

Thank you SO much for including The Daughters of Boston series on your "Kat's Picks 2009" -- MUCH appreciated! Have a great weekend. :)

Kind regards,
Julie
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.