Traditions of Men

Today, I physically feel weight on my shoulders because of the actions of those who claim to love Christ freely, but have burdened Christ’s children with their own opinions. I feel hurt and powerless, abused and taken advantage of. But my sorrow isn’t only for me, it’s for them as well.

Legalism. It has been following me around my entire life, like some wretched disease I can’t shake. There was a time when I was overtaken with it, fully infected myself and blissfully unaware. But the older I got, the more I realized how judgmental I had become. It was so bad that I looked down on anyone that didn’t share my opinion, my "God-given" opinion at that. Everyone needed to obey my rules and standards, or they weren’t being good Christians.

It was a startling moment of clarity when I realized my behavior. While studying the Gospels I found that I could relate to the Pharisees more than I could the disciples. Instead of being open to learn, I had shut the book on my relationship with Christ. Instead of loving the Words of Christ, I was offended when they didn’t match mine. Instead of loving sinners I was judging them. I had become my own authority on all things concerning Christian behavior. And in the process, I had said no to Christ, said no to both believers and unbelievers, and let dozens, if not hundreds of blessings slip by.

Since then, I have worked very hard to not let my first reaction of others be judgmental. I have dug into the Scriptures to see just why I believed some of the things I was taught. I have changed my mind on many things. And as a result, God has taught me things and led me to people I never would have encountered if I had remained a legalist.

But even having shaken the disease myself, it still haunts me everywhere I turn. I see others struggling with this burden. Some aren’t aware they have it. Some don’t know they can change. Some don’t want to.

I know I am called to love these individuals. To pray for them. To look past the disease and see them as Christ does.

But what to do about the sin?

I’m conflicted. I 'm supposed to forgive, to live as peaceably as possible with the Body of Christ. I am to be humble and serve others. But I also don’t feel like sin should be allowed to fester in the Body. It only destroys. So how do I confront the sin without offending my brother?

I have responded in many ways. I have fought. I have argued. I have remained silent. I have fumed to myself. I have tried to ignore it. But today, my only response is to weep. I’m ready to give up. To let them live as they please, even if it means they continue hurting other children of God, especially the baby ones.

If only they could see the joy and freedom that come with our salvation. If only they could see the disease they are spreading. If only they could see the hearts they are breaking. Why would anyone who loves Christ want to be a Pharisee? There is no room for a relationship with God with legalism. It gives the impression that God will not love the ones that don’t follow these "rules". But there are no boundaries to God’s love, nor His forgiveness. Yes, there are absolutes in our faith. But there are also many things that God has given different believers various convictions about, for their own good. But why would we force our convictions on everyone else, in the process limiting the Holy Spirit’s work in their lives?

"...These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men. You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men."

Comments

Miranda said…
I know what you are saying. The only thing I would add is that I don't think the "they" you keep referring to is any one person. That's what makes it so difficult. It is a satanic force that is trying to ruin us through legalism. As soon as someone grabs hold of something that makes him feel good, and powerful, and righteous, there's a foothold, and it's very hard to stop the disease from there. The ONLY hope is humility, repentance, and restoration. For all of us, whether we think we are part of the problem or not. Aren't we one body? So another's sin is our problem too.